cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PBR on Cisco WS-C3850-48T L3 switch performance impact?

satish.txt1
Level 1
Level 1

We have Cisco WS-C3850-48T L3 switch and i am going to configure PBR on it, does anyone know what could be the impact? If i apply policy to specific interface then PBR will only apply on that specific interface traffic right? it won't apply on global switch traffic. 

We are only planning for 2 PBR policy, any one has any past experience doing PBR on L3 switch and performance penalty? 

7 Replies 7

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Most likely, it will do you PBR at line rate.  Hard to say for certain without knowing the exact PBR configuration.

Very basic PBR.

We have two ISP link on L3 switch and want to route Host-A to A ISP and Host-B to B ISP. very basic PBR. 

Do the PBR on the L3 switch then.

My only concern is performance impact, we have almost 1G internet pipe, and around ~100 servers. 

You have to just try it and see.

PBR on L3 switches can be hit and miss and you should make sure you read the configuration guidelines for your particular switch model.

There are always restrictions and more importantly things you should not do because it will cause packets to be processed switched ie. in software and with the size of your internet connection and number of users you don't want that.

These restrictions and recommendations will be listed in the switch configuration guide.

Use the default route where you can ie. don't do PBR on both links because you don't need to, only do PBR for traffic you do not want to send via the default route.

Jon

I was reading somewhere it was saying following:

In Cisco IOS XE Release 3.2SE, support was added for the Cisco Catalyst 3850 Series Switches.

I have following version, what is XE Release????? 

Image: Software: CAT3K_CAA-UNIVERSALK9-M, 03.03.02SE RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)

You are running 3.3.2.  So you have the needed support.

I would recommend upgrading to 3.6.3E before you do anything.  Some of those earlier versions were a bit flaky.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card