cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Ping reply time varies from Cisco ASA5520 to ISP gateway.

tadben2000
Level 1
Level 1

I have   newly deployed network. I have  two ASA5520-AIP20-k9. both connected to ISP and configured as Active/standby failover. the ASAs were working fine at first but later on, the  internet connection becomes very slow. the ping reply i am getting from  my next hop(ISP router) varies during  the peak hour is some times in 2000  msec or above but during off hours, the ping reply time is 1 and 2 msec.

when I directly connect my laptop to the link that comes from the ISP its ping reply is 1msec and 2msec.

I thought the ping reply of the ASA5520 to the ISP gateway should be constant and should be 1 and 2 msec regardsless of the traffic passing through the firewall. can anyone help  how to resolved this problem.

Tadesse

Ethiopia

1 Reply 1

mvsheik123
Level 7
Level 7

'I thought the ping reply to the ISP gateway should be constant and should be 1 and 2 msec' --> Not correct.

It all depends on the traffic usage on the interface connected to ISP (provided everything else is correct with ASA & ISP).

Based on your observation- 'peak hour is some times in 2000  msec or above but during off hours, the ping reply

time is 1 and 2 msec' 

It appears that there is lot of internet activity from the users. If you have a monitoring tool, check to see usage during peak hours.Or you can use 'Show inter' to get an idea by looking at the counters. Monitoring will give you better insight.

Another place to look into- how the ASA connecting to ISP gateway? Thru Media converters/ long run cables or gateway device is located in the same closet as the ASA? Media converters might cause issues as well.

Thx

MS

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card