Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PIX 515 6.1(1) Hangs every evening

We have a PIX firewall 515 E (no failover) with a simple configuration of allowing only web traffic from inside. PIX is with three ethernet interfaces and the DMZ is used rarely for specific requirements. A www server is hosted with authentication through aaa for incoming users in the inside.

For the last one week, PIX hangs every late evening. No traffic passes through the pix and we cannot ping any devices from pix as well. There are a lot of 'no buffers' counts seen in all the interfaces of PIX. CPU usage is about 21%.

Can anyone help in identifying whether this could be a hardware issue?

Regards , Murali

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

syghafoor
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Murali,

I am not aware of any hardware issue but it could be a software bug. I suggest that you open up a case with cisco tac.

or you might want to upgrade to 6.1.4 which has fix for most bugs.

Thanks,

Syed

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

syghafoor
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Murali,

I am not aware of any hardware issue but it could be a software bug. I suggest that you open up a case with cisco tac.

or you might want to upgrade to 6.1.4 which has fixes for most bugs.

Thanks,

Syed

syghafoor
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Murali,

or you might want to upgrade to 6.1.4 which has fix for most bugs.

Thanks,

Syed

We upgraded the pix to 6.1.4 and it has not failed last evening. Will observe and take a decision whether to approach Cisco for further help.

Thank you all for the support and I appreciate it.

mpalardy
Level 3
Level 3

If your pix hang's under heavy traffic condition, you might want to take a look to this field notice:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/customer/770/fn15490.shtml

I had a pix running under this FN. Under 20mbps of througput pix stopped passing traffic. Cisco eventually changed our device for a brand new.

You may also have a failover licence on your PIX. In this case pix is suppose to reload automatically every 24 hours.

Mike

The pix that was hanging was a 515, not a 515-E. Sorry, my fault.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card