cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PIX 515E Upgrade from 6.3(5) to 7.2(X)

wr3500
Level 1
Level 1

I am looking at upgrading a 515E to 7.2(X) release but I am wondering about the memory requirements. The PIX in question has 64MB Ram/16MB Flash, UR and FO licensing. I keep seeing in the memory requirements that it needs to be a minimum of 128MB Ram to maintain the licensing but I have another PIX firewall that was upgraded(by another tech) to 7.2(2)14 that is also 64/16 with the same licensing structure and it appears that all the licensing remained intact after the upgrade. I am a bit confused by the memory requirements and am wondering if I should be concerned.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Pix 515E uses PC100 SDRAM. If you have an old

DELL Optiplex GX110 desktop, you can take the

128MB ram chip from the desktop and put into

the Pix 515E and it will run just fine. Both

Pix 515E and Dell Optiplex GX110 use Kingston

SDRAM PC100.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

ajagadee
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Bill,

It is highly recommended that you upgrade the memory on the Pix515E to 128MB before upgrading to 7.2(x) as per the below URL:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/vpndevc/ps5708/ps5709/ps2030/prod_bulletin0900aecd8023c8d4.html

Even though, the upgrade to 7.x with 64 MB might work, it will not be officially supported by TAC. Atleast, that is my understanding.

Regards,

Arul

** Please rate all helpful posts **

Arul,

Thanks for the reply. Currently the customer is not in the position to upgrade the RAM or replace the firewall. The logic behind the upgrade is that they have hit the limit on interfaces 6.3(5) will support(VLAN/Physical)and the only workaround I see is a code upgrade at this point in time.

Pix 515E uses PC100 SDRAM. If you have an old

DELL Optiplex GX110 desktop, you can take the

128MB ram chip from the desktop and put into

the Pix 515E and it will run just fine. Both

Pix 515E and Dell Optiplex GX110 use Kingston

SDRAM PC100.

Cisco24x7,

Thanks for the info. I will look into that and see if it is an option in this case.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: