cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PIX 515E Version 6.3(4) and SmartFilter IFP

ewong0088
Level 1
Level 1

Has anyone been using Secure Computing's SmartFilter IFP with PIX?

I am trying to find any info on the topic but to no avail.

My questions are:

(1) Will SmartFilter IFP works with PIX and

(2) No, I don't have any Cisco Coentent Engine, just staright forward PIX firewall.

If indeed it works without the CE, where can I find an example of PIX command for this scenario?

Thank you for your help.

3 Replies 3

thomas.chen
Level 6
Level 6

As far as I know Cisco supports only Websense and N2H2 for URL filtering.

SmartFilter IFP i believe is the same as N2H2.

Secure Computing bought N2H2 late last year.

Commands you will need are

url-server (inside) vendor n2h2

filter url 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0

basically that gets you started.

This past weekend I setup my Pix 515e v6.3(1) to use SmartFilter 4.1 for URL filtering.

Entries needed on the Pix:

url-server (inside) vendor n2h2 host xx.xx.xx.xx port 4005 timeout 10 protocol TCP

filter url http 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 allow

xx.xx.xx.xx = SmartFilter IFP server.

You can also add:

filter url exclude x.x.x.x x.x.x.x x.x.x.x x.x.x.x allow

To exclude source and/or destinations from being sent through the SmartFilter. Example: I'm excluding traffic from my BlackBerry Enterprise server from being filtered by SmartFilter. The user logged in the machine running the BlackBerry stuff is the local administrator which is getting kicked out when SmartFilter tries to authenticate against my Active Directory.

I'm running SmartFilter, SmartFilter Reporter and SmartFilter IFP all on the same Windows 2003 server (3Ghz, 2gig RAM).

Beware: If you are using SmartFilter to do Active Directory authentication and authorization there is a current bug as of the date of this posting with the LDAP interface under the SmartFilter 4.1 product. SmartFilter acknowledged this to me on Tuesday, Sept 20, 2005 and the issue is in engineering and they are waiting for Engineering to come out with a fix.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card