Views
Helpful
Replies

pix 525 maximum interface

p.mafara
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

a question about the PIX-525-UR , the brochure says Two 10/100 Fast Ethernet on board , and Gigabit Ethernet support , Up to eight 10/100 FE or three Gigabit Ethernet interfaces .

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/iaabu/pix/pix_sw/v_63/hig63/525.htm

I understand that we have got 3 pci slots and 2 10/100 on board , but looking on the page above

i've got on the Unrestricted Interface Options

2 4-port FE , that makes a total of 10 interface .

How can be possible ? It will disable two interface ?

Then i saw on the forum that the 525 supports a GigE interface (though not at full line rate) and what about 1 4-port FE + 2 GE ?

Which limitation ?

Thanks

Patrizio

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Q. did you mean "You are only allowed 8 interfaces as a maximum on the 525 UR"? (10 total -2 disabled = 8)

A. That is correct. A 525 UR will only activate 8 interfaces within the software. If you add two 4 port cards, the last 2 ports on the 2nd card will be disabled.

Q. i was asking what kind of limitation on GigE interface , example not at full line rate , what does it mean ?

A. The GigE interface on the PIX will run at full line-rate. What is meant when people say a 525 is not a true Gig firewall is that the 525 has a max throughput of about 330 MB/s which is clearer lower than a Gig. The 535 is a true Gig firewall as it has throughput of greater than 1000 MB/s.

Two Gig interfaces is supported on the 525 and both will support full Gig speeds on the card. However, there will be some delays in passing the packets to the CPU if the PIX is trying to pass more than 330 MB/s or so.

Make a little more sense?

Scott

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

scoclayton
Level 7
Level 7

A 525 UR with two 4 port FE cards will disable the last 2 interfaces on the 2nd card. You are only allowed 10 interfaces as a maximum on the 525 UR.

One 4 port FE and 2 GE cards is supported in a 525 UR.

Hope this helps.

Scott

Hi Scott,

i'm a bit confused , did you mean "You are only allowed 8 interfaces as a maximum on the 525 UR"?

(10 total -2 disabled = 8)

Second question , i was asking what kind of limitation on GigE interface , example not at full line rate , what does it mean ?

And in case of two GigE , i've got other kind of limitation ? speed etc..

Thanks,

Patrizio

Q. did you mean "You are only allowed 8 interfaces as a maximum on the 525 UR"? (10 total -2 disabled = 8)

A. That is correct. A 525 UR will only activate 8 interfaces within the software. If you add two 4 port cards, the last 2 ports on the 2nd card will be disabled.

Q. i was asking what kind of limitation on GigE interface , example not at full line rate , what does it mean ?

A. The GigE interface on the PIX will run at full line-rate. What is meant when people say a 525 is not a true Gig firewall is that the 525 has a max throughput of about 330 MB/s which is clearer lower than a Gig. The 535 is a true Gig firewall as it has throughput of greater than 1000 MB/s.

Two Gig interfaces is supported on the 525 and both will support full Gig speeds on the card. However, there will be some delays in passing the packets to the CPU if the PIX is trying to pass more than 330 MB/s or so.

Make a little more sense?

Scott

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card