Views
Helpful
Replies

PIX 535 Base Model

philip.e.denton
Level 3
Level 3

Security buds,

I have to do some DR testing in a month or so and am scoping out what hardware I would like to use.  Last year a PIX535 was used so I'd like to stay with the same hardware and reuse the previous config.  As I recall the base PIX535 only comes with 2 10/100 ports, but I looked through last year's config and saw that it refers to both Eth0 and Eth2 (but not Eth1?) so I would ASSume there are at least three ports on the box.

Does a base PIX really only have 2 10/100 ports or is there an "Admin" port that can also work as an in-band security zone?  Am I missing something here?

Thanks,

Phil

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The default would come with a motherboard with just 2 slots.

So, unless you had 1G or 4FE port expansion cards, you should have 2FE ports.

I hope it helps.

PK

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Panos Kampanakis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This blog aims at presenting information, developments and thoughts on cryptographic topics. It will also discuss cryptographic issues and concerns on Cisco products. So it all depends on what cards you have in it.

Though, keep in mind that the  PIX is End of Sale already.

I hope it helps.

PK

Acknowledged.  But does how many ports does it have right out of the box that may be assigned to security zones?

Would an otherwise empty (no extra modules) have Eth0, Eth1, and Eth2?

The default would come with a motherboard with just 2 slots.

So, unless you had 1G or 4FE port expansion cards, you should have 2FE ports.

I hope it helps.

PK

Cool, thanks.  But even if there are only two ports I could still use multiple VLANs across either/both ports for multiple contexts/subnets, right?

That is write. You can configure as many vlans as your license allows you.

Please mark the question as asnwered if it is, so others can benefit from it in the future.

Rgs,

PK

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card