cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

problems with 5505 upgrade - rommon after reboot

slug420
Level 1
Level 1

Trying to upgrade this one 5505 from 8.2.1 to a current (and patched for the recent RCE/DoS vulnerability) version.  I have done 3 or 4 others this week but this one is giving me problems.

I tried to go from 8.2.1 to 8.4.6 to 9.2.4.25 which I believe is the recommended progression.  When I tried the move to 8.4.6 it hung on the reboot and I was stuck in rommon.  I was able to recover using TFTP to load 8.2.1 again (and have also been able to recover from rommon to 8.2.2) but when I then tried a more subtle upgrade from within the OS (to 8.3.2) it still hung on the reboot.

Is this a flash issue?

when I try FSCK it shows no errors...

fw#fsck flash:
dosfsck 2.11, 12 Mar 2005, FAT32, LFN
/dev/hda1: 62 files, 51576/62078 clusters

fsck of flash: complete

There is a huge crashinfo but I dont know how to make heads or tails of it.

Any thoughts?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

johnd2310
Level 8
Level 8
Hi, Try the following: Backup your flash and then format the flash. Copy the new OS and try the upgrade. Thanks John
**Please rate posts you find helpful**

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Check to make sure your 5505 meets the minimum RAM requirements for the upgrade.  One of those required you to add more RAM.

mvsheik123
Level 7
Level 7

Hello,

In addition to that, check register setting as well. If I remember correct, it supposed to be is 0*1. Also point ASA to correct image ‘boot system disk....’ . If all looks good try to format flash and upload new code.

hth

MS

I have confirmed it has the required 512 ram so that should be all set

can you elaborate on the register setting thing? First I have heard of that. Not sure what that is/does or how/why/if I should/can change it? :)

The main reason I was reluctant to go right to format flash is that right now, it seems I can get it to boot from an image when I do TFTP in rommon, and it will boot from the 8.2.1 on disk0 which has been there...but any code I upload seems to fail to boot successfully. Maybe coincidence but I was afraid of formatting flash, having no 8.2.1 on disk0 to fall back to, and not being able to upload any new binaries that worked....the business would be down until we could get a replacement box.

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Are you using the same images you downloaded for the other ones? If not, it could be a corrupted download. Verify the MD5 checksum against what's posted on the downloads page.

johnd2310
Level 8
Level 8
Hi, Try the following: Backup your flash and then format the flash. Copy the new OS and try the upgrade. Thanks John
**Please rate posts you find helpful**

slug420
Level 1
Level 1

I did verify the integrity of the images I had uploaded, no issues there.

I wound up formatting the flash, going back to the base code so I could reload the config, and then upgraded multiple times without issue.

thanks for the help!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card