Views
Helpful
Replies

Provide access to outside

Limitless1801
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

A consultant will be installing an agent in some of our internal servers so they can monitor them from the outside. This agent needs to talk to an specific IP as well as Port on the outside interface and the communication is bidirectional. I don't have enough outside IPs to do a one to one translation so I am reaching out to you to see what is the best way to accomplish this.

This is what I would do:

1. Create an object group with all the servers

2. Create an access list with the above object group to allow the agent access to the specified IP and port #

3. Deny statement to block the rest of the traffic

May I hear your suggestions?

Thanks, RG

4 Replies 4

varrao
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

If you have a group of servers that needs to be mapped on the outside interface of the ASA, then that migth be a problem, because although you can do port forwarding on the outside interface of the ASA, that is also a one-to-one nat, so if one server uses the port 443 on the outside interface then the other servers would not be able to use it.

Port-forwarding doc:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6120/products_tech_note09186a0080b80d74.shtml

Thanks,

Varun

Thanks,
Varun Rao

I have already found a solution. Thanks.

Can you share it??

Thanks,
Varun Rao

Sure...

After gathering more information, I found out that the agent only needs access to the outside so there is no need for a one-to-one translation. What I did was, I created an object group that contains all the servers in question and create an ACL allowing IP traffic from the object group to the destination on port XXXX and added another statement to deny any other traffic.

Have a good day!!!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: