cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Recover VPN keys and user passwords on ASA5505. Is it possible?

firestormnet
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All.

I'm just wondering, is it possible to find out or recover  the passwords for users and pre-shared key for tunnel-group? The VPN connection was confiigured on ASA5505 before me, but no login details were left.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Can you log into the ASA at all? If so, go into an ssh session, enter enable mode and read the configuration using the command:

more system:running-config

You can also get a backup from the ASDM GUI that will also provide this information. Either method will provide VPN PSKs in plain text. Local user passwords will not be shown. If those are lost, they will have to be created anew.

If you cannot log into the ASA at all, you will have to perform password recovery procedure. Cisco has a procedure for this here. Once you've done that, proceed as advised above.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Can you log into the ASA at all? If so, go into an ssh session, enter enable mode and read the configuration using the command:

more system:running-config

You can also get a backup from the ASDM GUI that will also provide this information. Either method will provide VPN PSKs in plain text. Local user passwords will not be shown. If those are lost, they will have to be created anew.

If you cannot log into the ASA at all, you will have to perform password recovery procedure. Cisco has a procedure for this here. Once you've done that, proceed as advised above.

Hi Marvin.

Yes, that command I was looking for.

Now I can see pre-shared keys instead of *. User's passwords are still encrypted, but I can create new ones if needed.

Is there some handy source showing some handy commands for firewall and router like show, debug, etc.? Or everybody creates their own ones.

Thanks for your reply.

You're welcome.

I mostly use the official guides (and download local copies of the latest plus 8.2 guides for when I'm offline):

ASA Configuration Guides

ASA Command References

Those plus experience = expertise.

Please mark this question as answered and rate if it helped you.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: