Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Registering FTD (FDM) to FMC

Not applicable

Hi, I know there have been some posts similar to this, but I couldn't find the one that exactly fits my scenario.

I recently upgraded my ASA to unified FTD image. I am locally managing FTD with FDM and configured basic ACLs, static routes and basic inside-outside NAT going for initial internet access for users.

I also have FMC with no configuration and I'm planning on applying defualt 'base policy' when I'm registering FTD to FMC.

My concern is, I'm not sure when registering, my locally created ACL(under Policies->Access Control), static routes, NAT, port configuration will be wiped and users will lose access internet/servers until I re-configure all those again through FMC. 

5 Replies 5

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

When you change an FTD device from local management (FDM) to FMC management all policies are wiped out.

Unfortunately that's a constraint of the system design at this point (i.e. as of 6.2.x).

are the static routes, interface configuration wiped, as well?

I haven't had a chance to test that so I'm not sure.

I've been told by Cisco staff that everything beyond the initial bootstrap settings are removed.

I'd say it would be a good lab study (or worth a TAC case if you can't lab it).

Marvin,

Can you confirm if this is still valid. Can you provide a link that explains this. Thanks. 

I'm in the same boat.  I opened a TAC case and they are not very helpful.  I'm in the situation to where the ASA has a basic configuration from the setup routine, but there are no routes.  I can ping the device from my FMC, but cannot ping from the ASA to the FMC, because there is no route.  If I use the local UI to configure,  that works, but as soon as I revert to adding the FMC, those routes are wiped and I'm back to square one.   FMC gives me a very generic response on why it can't register it.  I'm guess, that because there is no route the conversation is one direction, meaning the ASA can't reply to the registration process.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card