Views
Helpful
Replies

Reimage an FTD 1010 from asa to FTD

david-imrie
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I am attempting to recover some spare FWs that a previous employee didn't bother to write the password down for

I have had little trouble doing this with FTD models, following the process for re-imaging them from 6.0 to 7.0.

I now have an FTD 1010 which is currently set to run ASA code.
I want to re-image the device to FTD 7.0 like the others.
But I cant find a way to format the device or otherwise stop it booting in to ASA. Even if i TFTP -b from rommon and download the FTD image it still boots to asa..

Please help 

5 Replies 5

it should be as simple as uploading the new FTD image and then change the boot system command in the CLI removing all other boot system commands present in the configuration, save and reboot.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/firepower/quick_start/reimage/asa-ftd-reimage.html#task_fx2_pv5_5hb

--
Please remember to select a correct answer and rate helpful posts

Hi,

I cant do this as i don't know the password for the ASA.
I need to know how to blow away the device config /boot options from rommon.

If you use the console port while booting, you should be able to break into the boot process and do a factory reset from the fxos prompt. This guide is written for the 2100 series but should also apply to your 1010:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/firepower/2100/troubleshoot_fxos/b_2100_CLI_Troubleshoot/b_2100_CLI_Troubleshoot_chapter_011.html#task_vxn_r5h_qdb

Thank you Marvin.
In this instance I had a last minute stroke of luck on finding the password so could do a "Format everything",
I was on the phone to TAC at the time and I'm not sure the agent I had knew the method you suggest.
I'm sure I've a few more  firewalls ill need to wipe in the coming weeks so ill confirm the method for anyone else finding this post.

@Marvin Rhoads has provided the guide for password recovery.  Give that a go and let us know how the result.

--
Please remember to select a correct answer and rate helpful posts
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card