Views
Helpful
Replies

Reimaging ASA5516-X to FTD

Alvaro Rugama
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone

We are planning to reimage our ASA 5516-X to FTD image, however, we have a concern about the licensing.

Currently, we have our ASA running Firepower Services (HDD Module), when migrating to FTD image, the same license that we are using with the FMC works for the new image?

As I understand, FTD image works with Smart Licensing, do I need to open a case so Cisco change the classic license to Smart License? or do I need to purchase a new license?

Hope you can help me with this question.

Best regards.

2 Replies 2

if you have a smart licensing. All you have to do is to go to FMC and click smart licence. it will take you to cisco licensing website. login and get/generate a token and past it in FMC smart licensing.  if issues than open a tac case.

if you have traditional license than open a tac case. Engineer will convert it into to a smart licence for FTD. remember ASA firepower work with traditional lice but FTD can not work with traditional lic you need smart lic for that.

please do not forget to rate.

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
They not only use different license types (classic PAK-based vs. Smart license) as Sheraz mentioned, but the licenses themselves are different costs and SKUs. For FTD you need Base (free) and Protect (paid) at a minimum. URL, AMP and AnyConnect are the other paid licenses you might be using. They all need to be purchased and provisioned as smart licenses.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card