cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

remote access to homelab

raul saurez
Level 1
Level 1

Can someone assist in setting up remote access for home lab? I have 5505 asa I can use. I have 4 switches connect to server. Server connects to my home router which connects to service provider router. Where would I place the asa and what configuration I use to create remote access? Is there standard template can share this to me please?I'm not familiar with Asa very well. Just want to work on my studies remotely. Please if you can help me on this

6 Replies 6

First you should ask yourself if you really want to use the ASA when you want to focus your studies on switching. With the ASA you have two choices:

1. configure remote-access-vpn to connect to your network
  2. configure port-forwarding to all your devices

For both you need to know which public IP the ASA has. As there is no dyn-dns client for this scenario on the ASA, you would need a static public IP or a dyn-dns-client on an internal PC.

Think about a different solution:

What about installing something like AnyDesk or Teamviewer on an internal PC and connect with that? Then you only have to make sure that your internal PC has an internet-connection and you are done.

Thank you for  reply! The laptop I have is the one I travel with. I can see if I can get other one. Would teamviewer create lag when jumping from internal PC? I don't want my studies to be painful cause slowness :-)

Both tools are quite efficient, but they transfer a graphical UI. The latency will will always be higher then what you have with a direct SSH/Telnet connection with or without VPN.

The main difference is that you will get started in 10 Minutes when you have a spare PC.

I have csr1000v on esx host. On optiplex then 4 switches connect to optiplex. You say put vsphere on internal PC so I get access server. Then put teamviewer on that PC so I can reach it remotely from other laptop right? If correct doesn't teamviewer timeout after no use for awhile?

If you have an ESX-server running, that would be a good candidate for a Teamviewer-PC. Probably you anyway want to have a PC with TFTP, Syslog and so on running.

Teamviewer can be installed in a "Host" mode which gives you the possibility to connect anytime regardless of any timeouts.

OK I will see if I can do that. Thank you!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: