cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Restricting inbound access to specific IPs on FTD 1120 using FDM

vtxchris
Level 1
Level 1

A customer is running an FTD 1120 using Firepower Device Manager. They had ports HTTPS, SMTP and ESMTP open to their Exchange server, and it was accessed due to the Exchange flaw. We turned off HTTPS access, so that the rule currently looks like this:

FWSKRULE1.jpg

We are beginning a migration to Office 365 and it appears we're going to need to open ports back onto the firewall for the migration tool, and I want to do it only from the provider's specific IPs. I need to make sure I don't configure this incorrectly, so I wanted to check first. I don't believe I can or want to edit the existing rule, but create a new rule for HTTPS.

I think in this rule the SOURCE network will consist of network objects I create for the specific IPs needed, the DESTINATION network will be my server like in the rule above, and the DESTINATION port will be HTTPS. So it will looks like this:

FWSKRULE.jpg

Will this rule open up HTTP to the specific IPs while keeping the server protected from the rest of the Internet? Thanks in advance for any help.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi @vtxchris 

This rule will permit inbound https from those 2 IP addresses.

Assuming you have a default deny rule then yes you should be fine.

If in doubt, you could run packet-tracer from the known source which should be permitted, re-run and confirm denied.

HTH

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Hi @vtxchris 

This rule will permit inbound https from those 2 IP addresses.

Assuming you have a default deny rule then yes you should be fine.

If in doubt, you could run packet-tracer from the known source which should be permitted, re-run and confirm denied.

HTH

Hey Rob, thanks for your assistance. One colleague suggested I specify Outside as the source zone and Inside as the destination zone, but does that really make a difference?  I don't see that it would make the rule more secure, just more specific.

Thanks,
Chris

@vtxchris Yes you could add the outside zone, it probably won't make much difference if you are permitting traffic from just those 2 known IP addresses.

Great, thanks for your help!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card