Views
Helpful
Replies

Running FirePower on VMware workstation

sulaimangd
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Has anyone Tried to run FirePower on VMware workstation, I'm trying to practice and test the platform, but I'm unable to make it work on VMware.

If someone has done it before, kindly help.

Thanks 

Sulaiman

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Although VMware workstation is not an officially supported platform, it can be done for use in a lab environment.

Follow the instructions for ESXi here:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/firepower/quick_start/vmware/ftdv/ftdv-vmware-qsg.html#pgfId-3309710

Make sure to enable promiscuous mode on your network adapters.

In addition to an FTDv VM, you will also need a VM running Firepower Management Center (FMC).

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Although VMware workstation is not an officially supported platform, it can be done for use in a lab environment.

Follow the instructions for ESXi here:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/firepower/quick_start/vmware/ftdv/ftdv-vmware-qsg.html#pgfId-3309710

Make sure to enable promiscuous mode on your network adapters.

In addition to an FTDv VM, you will also need a VM running Firepower Management Center (FMC).

Hi Marvin,

I have tried to Import the ovf file, but it keeps crashing and reboots.

any reason of this issue. 

please find the screenshots

Hi Marvin,

Did you manage to install Cisco FTD on Vmware workstation.

Please help me, having same issue

Hi 

I think better to do on ESXi as FTD hangs after 1-2 hours max. FMC has no issue on workstation.

It works well, but not using the ovf format. You will need to use qcow2 format for KVM. That is presuming you are using GNS3. The guide is available at GNS3 website.

Remember to rate helpful posts and/or mark as a solution if your issue is resolved.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card