cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Scheduling of reports

ring zer0
Level 1
Level 1
For ASA Firepower version 6 reporting, I scheduled a report and configured all details, I also mentioned that if there is no data still attach the report. However when I get the report at scheduled time I get without any attachment with body
Scheduled Task: test

thats it. Has anyone seen simillar problem?
9 Replies 9

Aastha Bhardwaj
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi ,

Mostly this happens when a wrong configuration is done .

Refer :http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/firesight/541/user-guide/FireSIGHT-System-UserGuide-v5401/Scheduling-Tasks.html#20497  and confirm the configuration .

Regards,

Aastha Bhardwaj

Rate if that helps!!!

I think its correctly configured, I can even see the reports being generated in the reports section and if I am receiving email it means SMTP function is also fine. Just the issue is that the email doesn't contain attachment.

Hi,

Set up email in report template first. To do that, please navigate to Overview > Reporting. Edit the desired Report Template, and then click the Generate button. Now you select the Send email option as below:

Now the reports should get attached in the email.

Entering the email address while scheduling is not enough, what that actually does is, it just sends out an email with the status of the scheduled task. If the report needs to be sent via email, you will need to have the email field set in the report profile as shown above.

Thanks,

Pujita

Rate if it helps !

Thankyou. So this is the manual way to do it, open report template, generate report and put email address which is working in my case. Note that the email input is not given to the report template but is provided only when the report is being generated .
Now when we are doing an automated reporting (scheduling-recuring) we will not have option to put the email address as there is no field for email address in the template itself. The scheduling will take the template, execute it autometically in the BACKGROUND (and here is where we put email, but this is done in background) and send the status to the email address mentioned in scheduling section. The status only and not the report.
If i understand the function properly, there is no way one can send a attached report through scheduling section but it makes me wonder when I create a schedule task it says "If report is empty, still attach to email", which means there is a way one can attach reports to email using scheduling.

Hi,

The scheduled task picks up the information from the report template. So its important to enter the email information in the report template.

Follow the screenshot that I had provided. After that create a scheduled task. Now your emails should have the report attached.

Let me know if it does not work after the scheduled task runs.

Thanks,

Pujita

Rate if it helps !

Jetsy Mathew
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Team,

Please make sure that your mail server doesnt blocks this due to some security instructions.

I have worked on this issues before. If you already made sure that its not an issue with the SMTP server then could you please try creating the report from scratch once by following below procedure in the same order to achieve this.After deleting all scheduled report tasks, and rebuilding the report template from scratch, it will work.

1) Create report template

2) Turn on Send Email in the report template

3) Create scheduled report task.

a). Set up email sending in report template first:

"Overview" > "Reporting" > "Report Templates" tab. Edit the desired Report
Template, and then click the Generate button. Now you select the Send
email option.

b). Set up recurring reporting task.

Please note that if you don't set up email sending in report template,
even if you fill out "email status to", and choose "if report is empty,
still attach to email", there is still no attachment sent with the email.
Email settings in task scheduling is only for task "STATUS”, not for
reporting content. This setting has no influence on the report template
email setting.

Rate if the post helps you

Regards

Jetsy 

I don't see an option to "
2) Turn on Send Email in the report template" . I am using OS 6, Please find below image which is output of new template. I have checked the advanced tab also, also the below icons but they are all related to add a piechart, add a bar etc.

Hi,

Navigate to Reporting. Click on the Report Templates tab. You will then see a list of all your report templates. Click on Generate Report icon next to the report template you are working with. That will correspond to the screenshot. 

Thanks,

Pujita

Rate if it helps !

Nelevdbroeck
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, we experience the same issue at this moment.

At the exact moment that the automatically generated report task is started, we get an e-mail with this text:

"Scheduled Task: Attack report

That's it. A while later we actually receive the report itself, with attachment. We don't need this notification e-mail, how can we disable it?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card