Views
Helpful
Replies

Security Concern on Cisco 827

Rolitto
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

I am aware that the Cisco 827 is no longer supported but I am trying to figure out whether it is recommended or required to deploy a dedicated ASA Firewall for the sake of security and protection purposes of SOHO end devices behind the router. 

I would like to hear your opinions on that matter, thanks in advance.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

Yes, I’d recommend a firewall behind the router. However I’d suggest a newer Firepower 1010 device running FTD, ASA hardware is EOL or will soon be. FTD software has the latest NGFW threat protection features and provides greater protection than the ASA.

HTH

View solution in original post

I second @Rob Ingram 's recommendation. The 1010 can act as a switch and even provide a couple of PoE interfaces as well as acting as a real firewall.

The firewall capabilities in the small routers are really not effective against modern threats.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Hi,

Yes, I’d recommend a firewall behind the router. However I’d suggest a newer Firepower 1010 device running FTD, ASA hardware is EOL or will soon be. FTD software has the latest NGFW threat protection features and provides greater protection than the ASA.

HTH

Ok I noted that... but if I swap the Cisco 827 with the Cisco 867VAE-K9, which according to its quick guide, seems to come pre-loaded with some basic Firewall rules.

I'm asking this because I intend to use the least number of devices possible while maintaining some security for this SOHO network as it is simply needed for a couple of desktops without any database or server services running on them.

What do you think?

I second @Rob Ingram 's recommendation. The 1010 can act as a switch and even provide a couple of PoE interfaces as well as acting as a real firewall.

The firewall capabilities in the small routers are really not effective against modern threats.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card