cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

show clear text pre shared key asa 5500.....

pjohnson5480
Level 1
Level 1

I have read several of the posts on how to show your pre shared keys in clear text.  I am in the process of converting a 5520 over to a 5525-x and I got to the point where I need the pre-shared keys

the    more system:running-config     command does NOT show the clear text of the keys nor does access the file via https:// either.

the 5520 is running Software Version 8.4(2)18

any thoughts how I can wrestle this info out of the asa as I'm not getting anywhere with what seems to have worked for a few others.

Thank in advance

Sincerely

Paul

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

1. What does the "more system:running-config" show you?
  2. You can use "write network" to copy the config to an tftp-server.
  3. You can use the Backup-feature from ASDM

or

1. You enabled the "password encryption aes" feature. Then the passwords are always encrypted in the config. But with the knowledge of the master-password you can transfer the encrypted ones to the new ASA. And the ASDM backup/restore should also work.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

1. What does the "more system:running-config" show you?
  2. You can use "write network" to copy the config to an tftp-server.
  3. You can use the Backup-feature from ASDM

or

1. You enabled the "password encryption aes" feature. Then the passwords are always encrypted in the config. But with the knowledge of the master-password you can transfer the encrypted ones to the new ASA. And the ASDM backup/restore should also work.

The command  more system:run  should show you those keys.

Couple things that I have seen

I have seen it where someone configured pre-shared key by cutting and pasting the key as it is shown when you do a show run, so it was entered as ****. You can check this buy entering a dummy config with a key and then run the more system:run and see if it shows up.

also check the privilege level of your login and make sure it is 15.

Mike

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card