cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Simple ASA 55xx to 55xx-X upgrade question

kylebrogers
Level 4
Level 4

I have an older model ASA 5500-series and I've purchased a new 5555-X.  If they are both at roughly the same up-to-date software version, can I simply copy the config from the old ASA to the new one?

I know that I will possibly have to make minor changes such as changing the interface names (ethernet or fa to gi) but are there any significant command structure changes that would cause problems?  (problems caused specifically by moving from a 55xx to a 55xx-X)?

2 Replies 2

mziyada
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi kyleobrogers,,

Check this document which contain the changes you need to apply on your 5555-X configuration, let me know if you need further help.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/security/asa-5500-series-next-generation-firewalls/guide_c07-727453.html

regards

It really depends what you have configured and what version you are running on the old ASA compaired to the new one.  For example, is the old one running 9.1 and the new one running 9.2?

If you don't have any thing very specific or special configured for your network, ie. you just have ACL, Objects / object-groups, NAT etc. then you will be fine with copying the configuration straight over with possibly a few minor changes (as you have already mentioned).

--

Please remember to select a correct answer and rate helpful posts

--
Please remember to select a correct answer and rate helpful posts
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card