Views
Helpful
Replies

snmp v3 and ASA

The Learned
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

newbie question. is it possible to use snmpv3 to write to ASA? all the articles i have read so far seem to talk about how to configure snmpv3 on asa to send snmp traps and for getting info from asa. i am looking to push out configuration/images in bulk to multiple asas at the same time.

i know in ios devices you can create a view, associate a group to this view and control whether you want to read or write. but in asa i haven't been able to find any articles talking about write access. is it possible? if not, how can you push out config/images in bulk to multiple asas at the same time?

thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Aditya Ganjoo
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

The ASA and ASASM provide support for network monitoring using SNMP Versions 1, 2c, and 3, and supports the use of all three versions simultaneously. The SNMP agent running on the ASA interface lets you monitor the ASA and ASASM through network management systems (NMSs), such as HP OpenView. The ASA and ASASM support SNMP read-only access through issuance of a GET request. SNMP write access is not allowed, so you cannot make changes with SNMP. In addition, the SNMP SET request is not supported.

More info on this link:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/asa/asa90/configuration/guide/asa_90_cli_config/monitor_snmp.html#pgfId-1087731

Hope it answers your query.

Regards,

Aditya

Please rate helpful posts.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Aditya Ganjoo
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

The ASA and ASASM provide support for network monitoring using SNMP Versions 1, 2c, and 3, and supports the use of all three versions simultaneously. The SNMP agent running on the ASA interface lets you monitor the ASA and ASASM through network management systems (NMSs), such as HP OpenView. The ASA and ASASM support SNMP read-only access through issuance of a GET request. SNMP write access is not allowed, so you cannot make changes with SNMP. In addition, the SNMP SET request is not supported.

More info on this link:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/asa/asa90/configuration/guide/asa_90_cli_config/monitor_snmp.html#pgfId-1087731

Hope it answers your query.

Regards,

Aditya

Please rate helpful posts.

thank you aditya!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card