Replies

Sourcefire - How to transfer an existing license for an RMA

mereyes
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

To transfer an existing license for an RMA:

​Step 1: Login to the License Registration Portal

Step 2: From the Manage menu select “Devices”

Step 3: Select “Filters” and enter the license key of the DC in “Devive/Product Instance ID” and click apply

Step 4: Select the Device checkbox, and click on the option for the menu

Step 5: Select RMA from the menu, on the screen enter the “License Key” of the destination DC. Click Next

Step 6: Agree to terms and click on Transfer to complete the RMA

Thanks,

Merv Reyes

License Program Manager

13 Replies 13

dhvenkat
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It works, Thanks for the steps

Hi All,

The license portal is updated the steps to perform RMA is modified, please check on the document attached for detailed steps.

Thanks,

DD

Hi,

As I know the license key is depend on DC. If we replace the sensor and use the same DC, how can we get the new license key to transfer the license?

Best Regards,

Jackson

Hi Jackson,

If you are using the same DC and just replace the sensor, you will not need to re-host the License. The License is dependent on the License Key of the DC. So if you do not change the DC, you will not need to re-host the License for your sensors.

Thanks,

Pujita Patni

Rate if it helps !

Hi Pujita/Jackson,

If my customer has 2 IPS with their Serial numbers and The FirePOWER 7115 Control License SKU & PAK (Perpetual) which were installed on a current FMC, right now, this FMC will be deprecated, and the newest one has no the licenses, my question is:

1. Do the new FMC need internet connection to process the "Re-Host" process and generate the new licenses to the new FMC?

2. The steps described on the document you shared  in this post, can be performed by the customer or do they need to open a TAC case to request this?

regards!

Luis

@joselfra This discussion thread is 4 years old. I suggest starting a new discussion.

Hi,

As I know the license key is depend on DC. If we replace the sensor and use the same DC, how can we get the new license key to transfer the license?

Best Regards,

Jackson

jiida
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Merv, 

The License registration Portal interface has been updated, therefore the process has been changed.

Could you please update the process posted here?

Thanks,

Jun

shadowplay101
Level 1
Level 1
I won't be physically sending the defective device to Cisco so I won't have an RMA#, so will these steps still work to transfer a license from a failed device to a replacement device?

Thanks

Hi Luis,

It will work, RMA# is not a mandatory field.

Please try it.

Thanks,

V.Dhanasekaran

Thanks for the straight answer!

One more question. I want to try this myself before I add these steps to a document for my field techs. 

I have 2 working WLCs, if I try this, will the WLC reported as 'defective' will be tagged as so in Cisco's database and no longer be able to receive support for it? 

I see how some people might be able to take advantage of this in order to use the same license on multiple devices. 

Thanks again.

Hi Luis,

That is correct, once you transfer the license to new device all license support for old device will no more exist. 

So you cannot take advantage of using same license on multiple devices.

Thanks,

V.Dhanasekaran

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: