Views
Helpful
Replies

SSL Certificates for AnyConnect VPN

Heino Human
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys, 

I'm a bit confused in why we would use two signed certificates for anyconnect VPN to establish a trust point on the outside interface of the firewall. If look at the below article and follow the steps, it would go like this. 

1. Create a CSR on the FTD via CLI

2. Send it to a CA to be signed 

3. Go to Objects > Object Management > PKI > Cert Enrollment, click on Add Cert Enrollment. Here we add the CA signed certificate (which is the first one)

4. Then we go to Devices > Certificates > Add > New Certificate. Here we select the cert enrollment we did in step 3, create another CSR to be signed by a CA again. 

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/network-management/remote-access/212424-anyconnect-remote-access-vpn-configurati.html 

Am I reading this incorrectly or not understanding the process? 

Any insight would be amazing so I can get my head around this. 

Thank you

Heino 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

@Heino Human 

You are getting confused between 2 different methods to import a certificate.

|You generate the CSR via openssl from the CLI, sign the certificate and create a PKCS12 file. On the FMC you then you select the Certificate Enrollment type as PKCS12 and import the file (this doesn't generate a new CSR). Example

Another method is select the Certificate Enrollment type as Manual, import the CA certificate and then generate the CSR and import the signed file. This method does not require you to generate a CSR on the CLI.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Omar Sandoval
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Step 3 is for upload the certificate signed by the CA, and the step 4 is to assign the certificate (uploaded on step 3) to FTD.

Heino Human
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Omar, 

That is correct, though when you assign the certificate in step 4, a new CSR is raised. Please see the screenshots attached. 

Thank you

Heino 

Panos Bouras
Level 1
Level 1

@Hi @Heino Human 

I create the CSR outside FTD (try openSSL) and then import the certificate to FTD

Check the following guide, I use the PKCS12 option.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/security-vpn/public-key-infrastructure-pki/215849-certificate-installation-and-renewal-on.html

Thank you,Panos.
Please Rate Posts (by clicking on Star) and/or Mark Solutions as Accepted, when applies

@Heino Human 

You are getting confused between 2 different methods to import a certificate.

|You generate the CSR via openssl from the CLI, sign the certificate and create a PKCS12 file. On the FMC you then you select the Certificate Enrollment type as PKCS12 and import the file (this doesn't generate a new CSR). Example

Another method is select the Certificate Enrollment type as Manual, import the CA certificate and then generate the CSR and import the signed file. This method does not require you to generate a CSR on the CLI.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card