Views
Helpful
Replies

stopping mail spam with pix

rpalacio
Level 1
Level 1

hello,

my customer is hosting their mail server along with the pix 506 in place.

Now it seems that a mail spam is taking place such that the mail server is beeing bombarded with thousands of mails with no recipients.

this case i guess can be mitigated if we are using an IOS firewall using the smtp spam command.

my question is, is there anyway we can stop this on the pix 506 firewall?

thx a lot.

7 Replies 7

nkhawaja
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

you can't stop spam with PIX.

Thanks

Nadeem

warren-scheck
Level 1
Level 1

Try Postini, www.postini.com, we have had alot of luck with their service in filtering spam. They are a service so theres nothing to install at your customers site.

phardy
Level 1
Level 1

There is none:

Get them a Baracuda Spam Firewall 300 and pop in a dmz on their PIX. Works for us, hastle free system.

Regards,

Patrick Hardy

Senior Network Designer

Montreal Transit Coorporation

There is another one:

ESAFE http://www.esafe.com/

sincerely

Patrick

These guys are .80 per mailbox per month, they have discounts for govt and edu also. http://www.appriver.com

We purchased the Baracuda, and we are so amazed on the performance, and how you can customize every little thing before it hits your mail server. I can not beleive how much spam we get on a daily basis, and on top of that, it pulls out the emails that contain virus's as well. This is the only way to go without installing software or reconfiguring your network. Just forward all your mail to this device, and configure the baracuda to deliver mail to your exchange/mail server and thats it.

p.durrant
Level 1
Level 1

use www.spamexile.com, we block spammers at source, so it does not even enter the network, and yes we are using a pix for blocking

Paul

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card