Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Suggested upgrade path for older Sourcefire devices/manager

Let's say that I have a few Sourcefire 3D Sensors (8130) and a Sourcefire Management Center that are on an OS that is before 5.4, one of them being on a version that's a bit older. What are the suggested upgrade paths for these devices? I know that I can't have a FMC that's multiple versions higher than the devices for management purposes. If one of the 3D sensors are below 5.0 (I know, not ideal), can I upgrade that to 5.3 or 5.4 directly if I manage it with the Management Center?

As I understand it, it would be ideal to bring everything up to the same OS version, before incrementally updating the FMC and 8130 back and forth until 6.6.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If there are not significant policies and customization of the setup, it would be far easier to just reimage and rebuild everything.

To do the incremental upgrades from 5.4 x or older will require days of effort as well as a TAC case to get access to the older images required in the 5.x range that are prerequisites for the more modern versions.

The 8130s are past end-of-sales and you won't be able to upgrade beyond 6.4.x on them in any case.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If there are not significant policies and customization of the setup, it would be far easier to just reimage and rebuild everything.

To do the incremental upgrades from 5.4 x or older will require days of effort as well as a TAC case to get access to the older images required in the 5.x range that are prerequisites for the more modern versions.

The 8130s are past end-of-sales and you won't be able to upgrade beyond 6.4.x on them in any case.

rick11
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

currently having Cisco Firepower Management Center, does this need to be upgraded or only the sensors on ASA needs to be upgraded to FTD version?
Thank you!
R

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@rick11 Generally any FMC can only manage devices at of below the same version. There is a compatibility guide that tells us how many releases older a given FMC can manage:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/firepower/compatibility/firepower-compatibility.html#id_103493

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card