Views
Helpful
Replies

Suggestions for using the IPS/IDS forum

a.arndt
Level 3
Level 3

Greetings,

I've noticed there has been a lot of repeat questions lately. I also note that, since this is not a moderated forum, there's really nothing here to guide new users on how to best leverage the information made available here.

Here's some suggestions I'd like to offer up to perhaps help with this:

1) Use the search engine.

It's located at the top right-hand corner to see if the question you want to ask has already been posed, and perhaps answered. Generic terms like "4210 password recovery" or "custom signature" are best to start with. If you want to refine your search, use either more specific terms or, even better, limit your search to the Cisco IPS/IDS forum.

2) Rate posts.

This not only recognizes the efforts of those of us who share our knowledge, but it helps users of the forum easily identify posts that you found were informative and useful.

3) Proof read and spell check your post prior to submission.

I personally compose my posts in MS Word. By doing this, I can check both my spelling and grammar prior to submission. Once I'm happy, I just copy and paste the text into the "Message Text:" box in my browser. While not foolproof, it will help to make your post more readable and understandable, which in turn will make it easier for others to provide you with the answers you seek.

These are just my suggestions. I invite others to add anything else they feel will help make using this forum easier and more enjoyable.

I hope this helps,

Alex Arndt

4 Replies 4

gabelar
Level 1
Level 1

Alex thanks for your efforts to increase the customer sat on the IDS/IPS forum.

tsteger1
Level 8
Level 8

Excellent suggestions!

If I could rate your post, it would get a '5'.

I wish there was a way to make them "sticky" so informative posts like yours could stay on top.

Thanks

Tom S

Greg & Tom - thank you both for the feedback. I appreciate your kind words.

I too would like to see the forum adopt "sticky topics" so that popular or useful threads could be kept at the top.

Alex Arndt

g.froehlich
Level 1
Level 1

For me beeing the first time here the most important thing would be having better descriptions of the postings in the subject.

Gerhard Froehlich

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card