Views
Helpful
Replies

tacacs-server host <IP> vs tacacs server <NAME>

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9

hi,

i recently upgraded a cisco ASR from 3.16.x to 16.12.x and noticed AAA didn't work afterwards. i was able to login using the local user but unable to execute any command.

Username: admin

Password: <LOCAL USER PW>

ASR#

ASR#sh run | s aaa

ASR#

ASR#sh run

Command authorization failed.

syslog shown after the 16.x upgrade. is this for info only or is it asking to migrate TACACS config?

Warning: The cli will be deprecated soon

'tacacs-server host 10.1.6.10'

Please move to 'tacacs server <name>' CLI

Warning: The cli will be deprecated soon

'tacacs-server host 10.1.6.2'

Please move to 'tacacs server <name>' CLI

i was able to successfully authenticate after i changed the TACACS and AAA server group to the new CLI format. my question is, was this due to a bug or is the new TACACS CLI format enforced on the new 16.12 code?

ASR(config)#tacacs server TAC-1
ASR(config-server-tacacs)#address ipv4 10.1.6.10
ASR(config-server-tacacs)#key cisco123

ASR(config)#aaa group server tacacs+ MY_GRP
ASR(config-sg-tacacs+)# no server 10.1.6.10
ASR(config-sg-tacacs+)# server name TAC-1

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/ios-nx-os-software/ios-xe-16/products-release-notes-list.html

I've double checked a few different hardware platforms and it seems the command has been depreciated on all hardware platforms running 16.12.x. The ASR release notes aren't as detailed as the other platforms, but your experience matches what is documented.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Hi @johnlloyd_13 

That command is finally depreciated in 16.12.x code on all hardware it seems.

TACACS legacy command: Do not configure the legacy tacacs-server host command; this command is deprecated. If the software version running on your device is Cisco IOS XE Gibraltar 16.12.2 or a later release, using the legacy command can cause authentication failures. Use the tacacs server command in global configuration mode

hi rob,

i was expecting cisco would run a macro to convert it somehow so it would be seamless.

do you have a link to support this?

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/ios-nx-os-software/ios-xe-16/products-release-notes-list.html

I've double checked a few different hardware platforms and it seems the command has been depreciated on all hardware platforms running 16.12.x. The ASR release notes aren't as detailed as the other platforms, but your experience matches what is documented.

hi rob,

thanks for the link. i saw it was indeed changed in 16.12.2

it's just unfortunate the upgrade process wasn't seamless.

hi,

i just got an update from TAC. i hit a bug and upgrade should auto convert the old "tacacs-server host" to the new CLI format.

there's a list of known fixed on the bug link:

https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCvu62273

@johnlloyd_13 thanks for the update!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card