Views
Helpful
Replies

Threat Defence, Firepower Defense Manager and Firepower Management Centre

evan.chadwick1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, 

can anyone explain the path for ASA and Firepower especially in relation to FMC. 
For eg, How does Firepower Defense Manager work in with a network that is running a FMC?

If ASDM will no longer be used, which device will be used to push ASA Firewall rules? 

Lastly how does Cisco Defense Orchestrator fit into the mix?

3 Replies 3

Oliver Kaiser
Level 7
Level 7

The firepower product portfolio can be kind of confusing but I will try to answer all your questions.

Currently we have two deployment options for ASA.

• ASA with Firepower Services (ASA running a seperate image for firepower functionality, next to ASA code)
  • Firepower Threat Defense (Unified image containing ASA + Firepower code in a single OS)

Both deployment scenarios have different ways to manage them

• ASA with Firepower Services: Manage ASA using CLI/ASDM and Firepower Module using FMC/ASDM (I highly discourage anyone to manage firepower using ASDM. Its buggy and it will surely die off sooner or later)
  • Firepower Threat Defense: FMC or FDM (Firepower Device Manager). FDM can only be used for entry/midrange firewalls (<= 5440-X) and is a dumbed down version of FMC which has some feature limitations and should be used for small environments that do not benefit from a central management using FMC.
    • ASDM is no longer required since all "ASA" configuration is done on the FMC / FDM

Cisco Defense Orchestrator is Ciscos cloud offering to manage ASA / Firepower. To be honest, I have yet to meet anyone using it and I am not aware of any limitations.

Let me know if this answers your question.

@Oliver Kaiser wrote:

The firepower product portfolio can be kind of confusing but I will try to answer all your questions.

Currently we have two deployment options for ASA.

• ASA with Firepower Services (ASA running a seperate image for firepower functionality, next to ASA code)
  • Firepower Threat Defense (Unified image containing ASA + Firepower code in a single OS)

Both deployment scenarios have different ways to manage them

• ASA with Firepower Services: Manage ASA using CLI/ASDM and Firepower Module using FMC/ASDM (I highly discourage anyone to manage firepower using ASDM. Its buggy and it will surely die off sooner or later)
  • Firepower Threat Defense: FMC or FDM (Firepower Device Manager). FDM can only be used for entry/midrange firewalls (<= 5440-X) and is a dumbed down version of FMC which has some feature limitations and should be used for small environments that do not benefit from a central management using FMC.
    • ASDM is no longer required since all "ASA" configuration is done on the FMC / FDM

Cisco Defense Orchestrator is Ciscos cloud offering to manage ASA / Firepower. To be honest, I have yet to meet anyone using it and I am not aware of any limitations.

Let me know if this answers your question.

I have a question regarding FDM deployment. For small companies it doesnt't make sense to purchase FMC for managing 1 ASA. So in my case I am trying to deploy ASA FTD with local manager - the Firepower device manager (FDM). It turns out there are many limitations - so far what I see is

- no possibility for etherchannel

- no local user database for RA VPN

- Identity Realm allows only integration with LDAP which cannot be used for RA VPN !!! no Radius

- cannot change outside data interface management port from 443 to something else

Correct me if some of these are wrong. These limitations seem very disappointing. A normal ASDM ASA can set all these with ease. The most worrying aspect is the RA VPN. How can it be configured for such deployment?

Re points 1 and 4 that's correct.

Re points 2 and 3, in FDM 6.4 we can use both local and RADIUS authentication (in addition to AD / LDAP).

Subsequent releases may address your other requirements.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card