Views
Helpful
Replies

Transitioning from one URL-server to another

jonesl1
Level 1
Level 1

Ok, I have a question (not surprising).

We have 2 ASA 5520's that are hooked together in an active/active standby failover mode.   Both using version 8.2.(1).

Currently on thses ASA's, we point our internet requests to a centrally located URL-server (N2H2).   However, recently this N2H2 server has become

obsolete and is going by the wayside.  The new URL-server (Netsweeper) uses websense.   My company has approximately 3000 people in it and

therefore makes it a little difficult to just take the internet down and switch over to the new one with very little testing.  

My question is....is it possible that I can run both and send only a certain subnets internet requests to the new websense URL-server while the remaining

continue using the old?

I'm needing a way to transition over to the new one, but I need to test the functionality of it on the network before implementing it across the board.

Thanks in advance!

1 Reply 1

Jennifer Halim
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

No, unfortunately you can only run 1 type of URL server at any given time, therefore, won't be able to run both N2H2 and Websense at the same time.

Here is the configuration guide for your reference:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa82/configuration/guide/access_filter.html#wp1045692

It would be best to organise for a down time after hours so you can perform the testing.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card