cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Trying to install Firepower Services on ASA 5515-X -- SSD Required?

mhickok
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all, I am following this article here: 

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/security/asa-firepower-services/118644-configure-firepower-00.html

I am attempting to install Firepower services on my ASA 5515-X. The exact image I am using is 'asasfr-5500x-boot-6.4.0-1.img'. 

When I run this command, no output is printed (which may be normal?).

sw-module module sfr recover configure image disk0:/asasfr-5500x-boot-6.4.0-1.img

But then when I run this command: 

sw-module module sfr recover boot

I get the following output: 

Storage device not found. Install drive and try again.

So I found some blog post that says this is because running these SW modules requires an SSD be installed, which I do not have. That kind of makes sense, but then I stumbled across this post: https://community.cisco.com/t5/network-security/ssd-for-asa-5515x/td-p/2226448

It says for IPS services, the 5515-X does not require an SSD. However, I'm not sure if Firepower services are considered 'IPS'. 

Anyone know what may be going on?

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes an SSD is absolutely required to install and use the Firepower service module ("sfr"). Cisco used to offer a SKU that included an SSD and Control license but they are past end-of-sales now.

Even if you could find a third party SSD (It's just a generic Micron drive to be honest), you would still need the Control license to do anything with it Firepower-wise so it would be of limited value.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes an SSD is absolutely required to install and use the Firepower service module ("sfr"). Cisco used to offer a SKU that included an SSD and Control license but they are past end-of-sales now.

Even if you could find a third party SSD (It's just a generic Micron drive to be honest), you would still need the Control license to do anything with it Firepower-wise so it would be of limited value.

Hi Marvin, I appreciate the quick and helpful response. This is purely for a lab environment and I am simply trying to get some logs generated from the Firepower application so I don't need anything to be production ready. 

I have not heard of this Control license before but I may be able to get one issued for the lab device. Are you saying that even if I have the boot image, and get an SSD installed, I still will not be able to enable Firepower services until I get a control license?

"I still will not be able to enable Firepower services until I get a control license?"

That's correct.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card