cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Ugrading IDS to IPS

r_berana
Level 1
Level 1

Hi security PRos, Is it possible to upgrade an IDS device to have an IPS capability, if yes, how? Thanks in advance

8 Replies 8

TradeSecrets
Level 1
Level 1

What type of device ?

Cisco IDMS-2's can run either code.

5.X is IPS code and 4.X is IDS code

i'm pretty sure its possible. if you want to use 'inline' mode, you just have to have the right number of interfaces.

The IDS model is IDS-4250-SX-K9

The IDS model is IDS-4250-SX-K9

daniel.cleary
Level 1
Level 1

I am not sure what device you have as an IPS/IDS. Not all IDS's can become IPS's.

The diff between IDS and IPS is that IDS monitors incoming / outing traffic in various ways. It is a passive device.

An IPS is inline, it has an internal and external interface, traffic passes through the interface and may be blocked.

I hav ean IDSM which allows the device to be both IDS (monitoring via span) and IPS.

With your particular model, you can do IPS mode; however, this model will only allow you to have one inline pair. If you require multiple subnets to be monitored, I do not think this is the best option for you. Basically, you only have to monitorin interfaces, so you cannot do any promiscuous monitoring if you have one inline pair. I am not sure, but you might be able to add a 4FE card if you require IDS mode on other subnets.

To which version am i going to upgrade to make it IPS capable?

IPS-4220-K9-sys-1.1-a-6.0-1-E1.img

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card