cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to copy to ASA flash

jennyjohn
Level 1
Level 1

I was trying to upgrade from 8.3.1 to 8.3.2. but I am unable to copy via tftp to the ASA flash or disk0:

ASA5520# copy tftp: flash:

Address or name of remote host []? 10.88.127.153

Source filename []? asa831-k8.bin

Destination filename [asa831-k8.bin]?

Accessing tftp://10.88.117.153/asa831-k8.bin...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Writing file disk0:/asa831-k8.bin...

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Half way thru writing to the disk, it goes for a reboot. There is more than enought space on the disk0. I tried copying via a Compact Flash, but the ASA is not detecting the Compact Flash (which I thinks should be disk1). I tried copying a asdm file, even that also went for a reboot.I am stuck now, unable to upgrade

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Did you do any recent memeory upgrades?? How di you do it?? Just replacing or adding the new stick??

You said something about rommon, did you try loading the image through rommon mode

-Varun

Thanks,
Varun Rao

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

lcaruso
Level 6
Level 6

run fsck disk0:

see if that finds any errors and it might help

Thanks lcaruso,

The fsck seems to be running fine.

ASA5520# fsck disk0:

fsck of disk0: complete

How can I check the output of the fsck?

You can check it in the flash, if any files are been stored, use " show flash ". Did you try reloading  the image again, after doing fsck???

-Varun

Thanks,
Varun Rao

Thanks Varun for your reply,

there are no files in the flash related to fsck.

Then there were no errors reported, did you try again after it???

-Varun

Thanks,
Varun Rao

I tried after that, still copying file to flash fails.

Its not an issue with the tftp or the file(its not corrupted) since I am using the same image to boot from tftp once in rommon mode.

Next option is to format the flash. Hope that helps.

Yes thats the right step, but make sure you ahve the config back up first.

-Varun

Thanks,
Varun Rao

Thanks Varun,

Did the format. But I am still unable to copy from tftp. Clueless now

The issue is when it writes to disk. it goes for a reboot half way thru the writing process.

Did you do any recent memeory upgrades?? How di you do it?? Just replacing or adding the new stick??

You said something about rommon, did you try loading the image through rommon mode

-Varun

Thanks,
Varun Rao

The issue has been resolved. It was due to memory issues.

Recently I had to upgrade the memory from 512MB to 2GB for upgrading from 8.2 to 8.3

I had added the 2GB along with the 512MB memory which was causing the issue. I am supposed to replace the 512MB with the 2GB memory, Now that I have removed the 512MB it is working fine.

Thanks

Absolutely, bingo....That was the whole purpose of asking it, there have been few issues, where I had noticed it, where removing the old memory resolves it. Very well done

Thanks,

Varun

Thanks,
Varun Rao

When fsck runs at boot time, it gives a message returned 0 or returned 1. The last case means it found errors.

You can check flash like this...and if you see any of these, fsck found lost clusters and consolidated them into files.

ciscoasa# sh flash

--#--  --length--  -----date/time------  path

193  2048        Jan 01 1980 00:00:00  FSCK0002.REC

194  2048        Jan 01 1980 00:00:00  FSCK0003.REC

195  92160       Jan 01 1980 00:00:00  FSCK0004.REC

196  2048        Jan 01 1980 00:00:00  FSCK0005.REC

197  2048        Jan 01 1980 00:00:00  FSCK0006.REC

198  2048        Jan 01 1980 00:00:00  FSCK0007.REC

199  675840      Jan 01 1980 00:00:00  FSCK0008.REC

200  2048        Jan 01 1980 00:00:00  FSCK0009.REC

201  677888      Jan 01 1980 00:00:00  FSCK0010.REC

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card