Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade ASA5585-SSP-IPS10 in HA A/S

albertofdez
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I want to upgrade the IPS module in ASA5585 and have a few questions.

The SSP-IPS10 is running 7.1 (1) E4 and I want to upgrade to version 7.3 (5) E4 in order to install the update of the latest signatures S978.

The ASA5585 are in Active / Standby mode and I want to know if it is possible to update the IPS module without loss of service.

If I update the IPS of the ASA5585 that is like Standby, does the HA detect that I have a different version of IPS and will have problems?

Best regards.

5 Replies 5

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can do it as a zero downtime event similar to how you do an ASA upgrade. In a production environment a change window is still recommended so that there is a documented procedure and awareness of the activity.

When you first upgrade, do it on the Secondary-Standby unit's IPS. The Active unit will detect the service module on the Standby unit is down while the reload occurs but that only serves to mark the Standby as "not ready".

Once the upgrade completes successfully then make the Standby unit Active ("no failover active" command on the Active unit). Then upgrade the newly Standby unit as well.

Finally, switch the Priamry-Standby unit back to Active role.

Hi Marvin,

Thanks for the information and for the quick response.

Best regards.

You're welcome.

Please mark your question as answered if it has been.

Is it possible to upgrade directly from version 7.1 (1) E4 to 7.3 (5) E4 or do you have to go through some intermediate version?

It's a straight upgrade. The release notes detail the procedure:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/ips/7-3/release/notes/release7-3-5.html#pgfId-1406026

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card