cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade to Cisco Security Manager 4.8

kerstin-534
Level 1
Level 1

What is the correct way to migrate CSM 4.6SP1 to 4.8 ?

Has somebyody tried this successfully with restoring database on a new host ?

10 Replies 10

Tushar Bangia
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

The following upgrade paths are supported:

• 4.6 (including any service pack) > 4.8
  • 4.7 (including any service pack) > 4.8

Please refer below link for upgrade:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/security_management/cisco_security_manager/security_manager/4-8/installation/guide/IG/inserver.html#pgfId-1056268

Regards,

Tushar Bangia

Note : Please do rate the post if you find it helpful!!

Hi,

then this is a documention error.

Upgrade does not work from 4.6 incl SP to 4.8. Installation is OK. Restore of database is OK.

Device view is not possible after that. No policies in Policy view. Objects are visible.

Seems that database  migration loses the half of information .

br Fritz

Hi Fritz,

Once we upgrade the CSM version, we may need to rebuild the DB on CSM, with the attached script.

Please refer below steps for same:

Refer below steps to execute the script:

1.Take CSM backup.

2. Keep attached file ReLoadDB.txt file in ‘NMSRoot~\bin’ location as ReLoadDB.pl by changing extension.

3. Reset the db password using "dbpasswd.pl utility in ~CSCopx/bin directory

"dbpasswd.pl dsn=vms npwd =new-password"

ex:perl dbpasswd.pl dsn=vms  npwd=cisco

4. After reset the db password ,go to NMSRoot~\bin path and execute perl script by providing db name as "vms",username as "dba" and your new password.

perl ReLoadDB.pl <Database Name> <UserName> <Password>

Ex: D:\CSM\bin>perl ReLoadDB.pl vms DBA cisco

Note:if cmf database then database name=cmf and username=cmfDBA

if rpt database then database name=rpt and username=DBA

if aus database then database name=aus and username=callhomeSA

And, I understand the direct upgrade is not working, I will check internally to see if there any known issues.

Regards,

Tushar Bangia

Note : Please do rate the post if you find it helpful!!

Hi,

no, this is indirect upgrade, since the new requirement is Windows 2012 Server.

I followed the steps as outlined in the paper http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/security_management/cisco_security_manager/security_manager/4-8/installation/guide/IG/inserver.html#27836

1. Commit any pending data; see Ensuring Security Manager Pending Data is Submitted and Approved.

2. Back up the database; see Backing Up the Database for Remote Upgrades.

3. Install the application, see:

Installing Security Manager Server, Common Services, and AUS

4. If necessary, transfer the database backup to the server.

5. Recover the database; see Restoring the Server Database.

6. Finally, make any required post-upgrade changes; see Making Required Changes After Upgrade.

Since Event Management is not used there are no necessary post-restore actions needed. Is this correct ?

We have tested to migrate via CSM 4.7, too. Migration to 4.7 from 4.6 works, migration from 4.7SP1 to 4.8 does not work, the same problem.

br Fritz

br Fritz,

Did you get this one resolved.  Its just I have upgraded from 4.3 to 4.4 to 4.6 sp1 but now cannot get any further.  I tried installing 4.8 on my windows 2008 server but it said I need to move to windows 2012. Installation is ok but it wont let me restore the database

any ideas?

regards

KOH

Hi Kevin,

no I stopped with Windows 2012 and CSM 4.7SP1.

Restore of database in CSM 4.8 on Windows 2012R2 was ok (the restore process said that everything has done with OK), after login in CSM there is no device.

I decided to wait for service pack 1 of CSM 4.8. I had the experience that the simplest things do not work without service pack in CSM.

br Fritz

Hi Kevin

the problem with the CSM4.8 installation has been resolved. We tried another fresh 2012R2 installation with ENGLISH/United States locale from the beginning. The locale cannot be changed after installation.

br Fritz

Hi Tushar,

I have rebuilt the database as described. The behaviour did not change.

br Fritz

How long does it take to restore a CSM server database that has around 8 GB of backup data?

Can we upgrade the CSM directly from the CSM Server software Center>Software update ? Can we directly click on the downlaod update and then install from there?

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card