cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading firmware of an ASA5515

Luke Smith
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to upgrade the firmware of my Cisco ASA 5515 from 9.1.1 to 9.8.1. I know I need to go to 9.1.2 before I can go to 9.8.1, but everytime I try to copy 9.1.2 to flash I get the error "No Cfg structure found in downloaded image file" I'm not even to the point of trying to load the new image, I just want to get it on the box to be able to schedule the upgrade ... I have plenty of room still to put the image on 8238202880 bytes total (4804546560 bytes free). Anyone experienced this issue? I know if I put 9.8.1 it would error, but why is it doing it for 9.1.2 when it has to be my next move? 

24 Replies 24

Hi Luke,

Its due to a bug regrading the error which you are getting

CSCvf85831 - "Error occurred in performing File Transfer HTTP Response code -1"

CSCut08220 - "Invalid Http response error"

If you are hitting the first error then the file will be copied to ASA flash correctly. Just verify the md5 of the file which is copied to ASA. Syntax (verify /md5 flash:[filename] [md5 value] )

If you are hitting the second error then try to copy the file to ASA throgh cli with tftp

Thanks,
Abheesh
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

If I can't copy disk1 to disk0, I doubt I'll be able to go from TFTP to disk0 as well.

Try with tftp

Same error when I copy from USB ... No Cfg structure found in downloaded image file

if you get chance or maintenance window, reboot the device and try - another suggestion apart from the previous post.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi Luke,
You have tried to copy via USB and ASDM file transfer.

try with TFTP.
copy tftp://x.x.x.x/asa981-smp-k8.bin disk0:/ asa981-smp-k8.bin

Thanks,
Abheesh
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

Abheesh,

I have tried to copy via USB, ASDM, AND TFTP. Neither have been successful. USB & TFTP had the same error. 

as you have tried all option i would suggest you open a TAC case or RMA the firewall.

please do not forget to rate.

similar issue happen to our firewall 5555-X

No Cfg structure found in downloaded image file which is generated because the file structure for the ASA binary images changed in both Version 8.4.7 and Version 9.1.3.

Check the following link for more info: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/security/asa-5500-x-series-next-generation-firewalls/116685-problemsolution-product-00.html

please do not forget to rate if I was helpful.

Regards,

Radio

please do not forget to rate.

Thank you for your response. This has been said multiple times already. I am trying to do this, I am getting the error when I try to put 9.1.2 on my ASA which is currently on 9.1.1.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card