Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading PIX 7.0(1) -> 7.0(2) without downtime

Solace
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

One of the features mentioned with version 7 is the ability to upgrade with zero downtime (if you have a failover unit) - I've had a look around and it's not clear on the procedure for this. With PIX 6.x when I upgraded one of the units the failover would kick in and the devices would flap between them with an error "Failover is running a different version". Has anyone done this and worked out the procedure for version 7? When I upgraded the units in our lab I also found that the procedure is different in version 7, you now have to add the line "boot image pix702.bin" which again isn't documented clearly anywhere.

PS. I also found that you had to REMOVE the old boot line - it doesn't over write it. ie. I had "boot image IMAGE.BIN" still contained in the configuration which had me going for about 10 minutes.

Thanks

2 Replies 2

rpaquin
Level 1
Level 1

we did it last night, upgraded both units, flipped to standby let it take over, synced, and then we rebooted back to the primary.

no two different version messages nothing, came right back up. took about 6 minutes to do.

b-hayes
Level 1
Level 1

Here is how I rolled 7.02 into production:

1) connect to the backup unit and copy the image up.

2) connect to the primary unit and copy the image up

3) reload the primary

4) after the primary is back up and 'sh fail' shows it as 'Primary - Standby Ready', then reload the secondary

It worked great for me.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card