cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

visualize rules in ASA 5515

bbiobeheer
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a option to visualize the rules in the FW environment ?

Want to make a good picture of all rules in our network, for a discussion with some other people with less understanding of FW settings

thanks in advance,

T.

1 Reply 1

Jouni Forss
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

I guess in general the ASDM view is as close to you can get to visualizing the firewall rules and configurations.

I am not the best person to talk about ASDM as I build all rules through the CLI of the ASA.

The ASDM does have an option atleast to view a single rules in a Diagram which clarifies in what direction the rules is controlling traffic etc

Heres an very simple example from my home ASA

First when accessing the ASDM you go to Configuration -> Firewall -> Access Rules

Click on the pictures to view them full size

At the top bar you will notice a button called Diagram

This will enable the ASDM to show a small diagram related to the interfaces, direction, action, networks/IPs and services configured in the rule you have currently chosen by left clicking the rule with mouse.

For example I have an "permit ip any any" rule

After selecting the above rule I will notice that since I have selected Diagram in the above bar that the bottom portion of the ASDM shows a Diagram related to this rule.

As you can see it shows the following things

• The rule (and the ACL in which the rule is located) is controlling traffic "inbound" to the interface called "LAN"
  • The service allowed is "ip"
  • The action is "permit"
  • The source and destination network in this case is "any"

I dont know if this is of any help but its the only thing I can think of related to the ASA itself as a way to visualize the ACL rules.

Hope this helps

- Jouni

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card