cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wannacry Randomware vulnerability

joe.tran
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a Cisco asa firewall prevent for Wannacry Randomware vulnerability?  For example Palo Alto has one.

http://researchcenter.paloaltonetworks.com/2017/05/palo-alto-networks-protections-wanacrypt0r-attacks/

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Right - as noted in the TALOS blog an ASA with FirePOWER services and current rule updates is an effective perimeter security countermeasure.

It is ideally combined with AMP for Endpoints and Cisco Umbrella (former OpenDNS Umbrella) for broader protection as many endpoints may not always be behind your corporate firewall. ESA and WSA (or CWS) with AMP would complete the spectrum of coverage.

Effective security requires a multi-layered approach and no one product will ever protect you in all use cases.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Farhan Mohamed
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

There is no firewall yet, which can contain a ransomware, unless we are aware when we are going to be attacked, thats what, Cisco takes into consideration. Cisco has various security measures not 1 which can control any Ransomware or malware in various stages of attack, I can discuss this one o one over a call or if you need more details let me know.

Moreover, users running XP were attacked not ones who had upgraded version. There are loopholes where ransomware can sneak in.

I found this, 

http://blog.talosintelligence.com/2017/05/wannacry.html

Right - as noted in the TALOS blog an ASA with FirePOWER services and current rule updates is an effective perimeter security countermeasure.

It is ideally combined with AMP for Endpoints and Cisco Umbrella (former OpenDNS Umbrella) for broader protection as many endpoints may not always be behind your corporate firewall. ESA and WSA (or CWS) with AMP would complete the spectrum of coverage.

Effective security requires a multi-layered approach and no one product will ever protect you in all use cases.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card