cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What are the steps to properly shutdown FTD ASA5555-X HA Pair

hurricane05
Level 1
Level 1

Hello. We have a pair of FTD on ASA5525-X running in an Active / Standby pair managed by FMC. What are the step by step sequence (or commands) for shutting down both units as this will be my first time having to go through this process. And I assume once I'm ready to power the units back on, I turn on the original Active unit first and then power the secondary unit right after?

Thx in advance for any assistance given.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

There are different way to do it. so i guess there is no best practice. if you manage your FTD from FMC here are the step.

1. Login to FMC GUI.

2. Click on Devices and go to Device Managment.

3. at Devce Managment it will show you your HA-Pair FTDs. Click the pencil next where it say "High Availabiltiy".

4. This is take you to the tab "High Availability" on the right hand next to high availabitily you will see "Device" clik on this.

5. here is will show you the detial of your Acitve Firewall (FTD). on the right hand side you will see "system" next to it you will see a Red signal sign and circule arrow. The Red signal means the device FTD active will shutdown and the standby will kick in.

(OR)

The other method is you login to know as "Old School" from the FTD device CLI, issue the shutdown command

(OR)

1. SSH directly into the FTD itself.
  2. Issue the connect fxos command to access the FXOS CLI.
  3. Enter Chassis mode using scope chassis 1.
  4. Power off the chassis using the shutdown ["reason"] [no-prompt] command string. 
please do not forget to rate.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

There are different way to do it. so i guess there is no best practice. if you manage your FTD from FMC here are the step.

1. Login to FMC GUI.

2. Click on Devices and go to Device Managment.

3. at Devce Managment it will show you your HA-Pair FTDs. Click the pencil next where it say "High Availabiltiy".

4. This is take you to the tab "High Availability" on the right hand next to high availabitily you will see "Device" clik on this.

5. here is will show you the detial of your Acitve Firewall (FTD). on the right hand side you will see "system" next to it you will see a Red signal sign and circule arrow. The Red signal means the device FTD active will shutdown and the standby will kick in.

(OR)

The other method is you login to know as "Old School" from the FTD device CLI, issue the shutdown command

(OR)

1. SSH directly into the FTD itself.
  2. Issue the connect fxos command to access the FXOS CLI.
  3. Enter Chassis mode using scope chassis 1.
  4. Power off the chassis using the shutdown ["reason"] [no-prompt] command string. 
please do not forget to rate.
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card