cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Windows Name broadcasting through PIX firewall

nimgnay
Level 1
Level 1

I have my LAN and DMZ seperated by PIX515. All the computers on the LAN under the windows domain A, and all the servers in DMZ under the workgroup called B. I wanted to see B and its servers on any of computers on the LAN in Network Neighbourhood, but i could not see it, although i can find those servers in B through Computer Search function in Windows.

I guess that it might be due to the name broadcasting packets are dropped by the firewall dmz interface so the LAN computers could not see B and its servers. Am i guessing right?

What shall i do to enable all the LAN computers to be able to see B and its servers in Network Neighbourhood?

3 Replies 3

mhoda
Level 5
Level 5

Pl. set up syslog and see which ports are getting blocked on the PIX. Then you can open up those port going from lower to higher security, thanks, Mynul

mostiguy
Level 6
Level 6

Opening the ports to do this will defeat a lot of the reasons to have a DMZ. Why do you want to see these machines in network neighborhood?

It is just for convenience, so that everytime, if somebody has to access the servers in DMZ, he/she does not need to type in the computer name or ip address to search for it.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card