Views
Helpful
Replies

WinNT domain accross PIX firewall

anik
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am new to PIX. My query is --> I want to have a single Windows NT domain which should span both the internal network and the DMZ. What should be the config and what should be the placements of Domain Controllers, WINS servers etc on either side of the firewall.

4 Replies 4

shabib.syed
Level 1
Level 1

well what u can do is have NT domain and wins servers i.e on the internal network. Now for ur DMZ machine to have the same domain u need to open few ports for those DMZ servers to ur NT domain controller. like UDP 137 , 138 and TCP 139 . As u know by default everything is close from lower security to higher. if u need help with commands and config....let me know i can help u with it.

Thanks Shabib.....Tell me one more thing.

Do I need to set up a WINS servers in the DMZ also ? It will also be helpful if you can provide me with some sample configs.

mcor21
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, The domain controllers and Wins server should be behind the PIX box. The DMz also can remain behind. got to go!!

I have domain controllers and exchange server on my 'inside' ethernet. Generally, stuff that sits 'outside' NT servers with external connections, ie proxy server, fax server, routers etc ... You will need to add permitting conduits to your pix to allow the two sets of servers to talk. Good luck!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card