Views
Helpful
Replies

Core switch replacement

ffa1100
Level 1
Level 1

the scenario is :

I'm replacing core Cisco switch 4506-E with switch 4507R-E. As I have one supervisor card on 4506-E and I'm going to take out all the card that I have in 4506-E and install it in the new 4507R-E. On the 4507R-E I have 2 slots for the supervisor cards I'm going to use one slot as it was in my old switch 4506-E. So My questions are.

- Do I have to configure the new redundant supervisor card that I got with the 4507R-E? please note that I have the 4506-E supervisor card already configured and I'm going to install it in the new 4507R-E.

- Is the second supervisor card optional to configure since I have the first one configured?

-since I'm going to take out all the cards from 4506-E and plug it in the 4507R-E, does it going to work right away or there is something else I have to do?

Thanks,

4 Replies 4

ffa1100
Level 1
Level 1

After reading through I need to clarify:

I have a 4506-E chassis with a WS-X45-SUP7-E supervisor card.  The chassis has failed and I have the possibility of using a C4507R-E chassis that can take 2 sup cards for resilience.

My question is can I use the replacement chassis ( which can accommodate 2 SUP cards for redundancy) with the single WS-X45-SUP7-E supervisor card?

Any advise much appreciated.

jameslingerfelt
Level 1
Level 1

and for that last question...No ..you wont be able to just move the card and go. the reason is that sup engine is going to be changing slots from 1 to 3 . Also its a chassis model change and in my experience its better to have a new configuration in a notepad on your computer ready with all the port number changes and erase the config before moving the sup from the 6 to the 7 slot chassis. im not saying it wont work but its very much one of those unsupported things to expect it to deal with the port moves on its own. Id let it boot clean with no config and paste in the updated config once its up.. James

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: