Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Comments
csluo@cisco.com
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I’m excited to introduce the most powerful compact services router in a 1-Rack-Unit format, the ASR1001-HX.

ASR1001-HX.png

Before I go deep into this platform, for folks who are familiar with existing ASR1000 platforms such as ASR1001-X & ASR1002-X, an obvious question you might ask is – why are you coming up with this new platform? What are the differences? Does that mean you will EoS / EoL ASR1001-X & ASR1002-X soon?

For starter, the ‘H’ in ASR1001-HX represents ‘High-end’; so, it is a high-end, fixed platform with the same 1RU form-factor. ASR1001-X is max’d at 20Gbps performance and ASR1002-X at 36Gbps, while ASR1001-HX starts at 44Gbps; in essence, ASR1001-HX is designed to address the market where multiple 10GE interfaces are required as providers are moving from 1GE to 10GE circuits to accommodate the ever-increasing bandwidth needs due to high bandwidth consuming applications such as video and social media. Secondly, ASR1001-HX is designed to handle Ethernet based interfaces only; the ASR1001-X and ASR1002-X, on the other hand, support SPAs with legacy interfaces such as POS, ATM, T1/E1, T3/E3, etc. In short, ASR1001-X and ASR1002-X are here to stay.

Now, let’s dive right into the ASR1001-HX and explore what this router can do for you. With consolidated control plane (Route Processor), data plane (Forwarding Processors), and built-in 10GE/1GE interfaces architecture, ASR1001-HX is equipped with these powerful components and capabilities:

• Intel Gladden quad core running at 2.5 GHz – only one core is currently used as control plane; the remaining 3 are not utilized, making them perfect candidates for applications such as container, application hosting, even for 3rd party applications.
  • Either dual-AC or dual-DC or dual-HVDC Power Supplies (future), hot-swappable and FRU-able from Back panel, providing 1+1 redundancy for Power Supplies (PEMs)
  • FRU-able crypto module (not hot swappable), coupled with “pay-as-you-grow” crypto performance upgradable licenses, it provides 8Gbps or 16Gbps crypto (IMIX) performance; for large (1400B) packets, it can deliver up to 29Gbps crypto performance; best of all, you only pay for up to 16Gbps crypto performance; anything above that, you get it for free
  • Suite-B encryption is also supported for diverse VPN security solutions.
  • Single Yoda ASIC, the 2nd generation Cisco QFP technology which is the heart of the ASR1001-HX data plane, containing 62 packet processing engines, each engine can have 4 processing threads; this means the ASR1001-HX can process 62 * 4 = 248 packets simultaneously, providing 30+ MPPS (Million Packets Per-Second) forwarding with universal k9 baseline feature set, yielding 60Gbps+ total system output performance for IPv4 & IPv6
  • Supports up to 88 Gbps (8x10GE + 8x1GE built-in ports) input traffic into the system; obviously the system is oversubscribed in this case; however, just like all other existing platforms within ASR1000 product family, ASR1001-HX is designed to handle oversubscription with classification and scheduling engine
  • In case you are not aware, out of the 16 built-in ports, 4 of them can be configured as either 10GE or 1GE, providing additional level of flexibility for future growth if you need to move from 1GE interface to 10GE interface
  • MACSec is also supported on each of the 16 built-in 10GE or 1GE ports, providing point-to-point and/or point-to-multipoint connection support for DCI, Campus interconnect, and Hop-Spoke deployment topology
  • With default 8GB memory, upgradable to 16GB, the ASR1001-HX can scale up to 3.5 million IPv4 or IPv6 routes
  • 2 million Firewall or traditional NAT Sessions can be achieved at linerate, generating 60Gbps FW/NAT performance
  • Even if you were to use it as an AVC (Application Visibility Control, which is our term for DPI – Deep Packet Inspection) appliance, the ASR1001-HX can achieve up to 30Gbps performance
  • When used as BNG, this 1RU form-factor router can terminate up to 29,000 BB sessions, plus 16,000 L2TP tunnels
  • Last but not least, ASR1001-HX also supports IOS software redundancy without redundant hardware, just like the rest of existing ASR1001-X, 1002-X, 1002-HX, and 1004 routers.

With its built-in four 10-GE ports, eight 1-GE ports, and four configurable 10-GE / 1-GE ports, up to 60Gbps total system bandwidth, and the instant-on service capabilities and on-demand crypto capability up to 29 Gbps (1400B), the ASR 1001-HX is ideal for

• WAN aggregation and secure WAN
  • Internet edge
  • Data center interconnect
  • Intelligent WAN (IWAN)
  • Managed Services
  • Small to medium BNG
6 Comments
kamp
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Also FCSd Kahuna i.e ASR1002-HX on 16.2

Barthorpe
Level 1
Level 1

Is there an FCS date for the ASR1001-HX? (Still not in CCW)

csluo@cisco.com
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

we just enabled ASR1001-HX orderability; it usually takes up to 48 hours to replicate through systems before you can see it on CCW; please check again in a couple of day on CCW.

abpsoft
Level 1
Level 1

It's now in CCW, but I'm stunned by the fact that it's essentially more expensive than the 1002-HX. The base system is a tad cheaper than the 1002-HX base but only comes with 8GB RAM, after upgrading that to 16GB they are on par. And while the 1002-HX comes with 4*10G and 4*1G unlicensed, I cannot find any kind of data sheet or doc that would say the same about the 1001-HX. Instead, in CCW I can order it with up to four times FLSA1-HX-2X10GE, which would imply that all the 8 10GE ports are licensed. Something like the 1002-HX PIW introduction PDF is desperately missing here, I think. The fact the "data sheet" specifies Scalability starting with 44Gbps could be read as supporting evidence the box might actually come with the same 4+4 unlicensed port setup as the 1002-HX, but it's just guesswork. On the other hand, if all 10G ports need licensing, the 1001-HX would come up more expensive then the 1002-HX - I cannot imagine this is intentional?

csluo@cisco.com
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

ASR1001-HX has the same default ports, i.e. 4x10GE + 4x1GE ports enabled by default; the remaining ports can be enabled via licenses; yes, when adding 16GB memory, ASR1001-HX will be the same price as ASR1002-HX for default configuration. Besides the obvious facts that it's 1RU (vs. 2RU for ASR1002-HX) and less power consumption, one additional advantage of ASR1001-HX is that there are 4 configurable ports that can be configured as either 1GE or 10GE, depending on which port license is applied to these ports. these 4 ports are in bay 1 (right side of the right router).

abpsoft
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for the clarification, the port licensing was the largest missing piece in the picture here - now it's clear. The pricing is still going to be a hard sell, though - unless the 1RU and power saved is at one's utmost priority. It may well be, and the up to 12 ports you can run at 1Gbps may be a decision criterion as well. But then the 1002-HX has two Yodas and bandwidth to spare as a result, is extensible with NIMs, scales to 32GiB RAM etc. I've waited for the 1001-HX in the hope it would not only come in at 60% the specced max BW of the 1002-HX but also something like 60% the price point. That (or even 75%) would have made the decision so much easier...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: