cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Comments

Hi everyone I am preparing for the ccna certification. For my labs I'm using "cisco packet tracer" I've come to the router chapter. When running my first command "show int serial 0/0/0 or 1" and all other serial interfaces, it doesn't work. From what I have been able to understand so far that in order for it to work with serial interfaces, I have to enable them. The problem is that the "HWIC-4ESW module" is missing at least this should be for serial interfaces.

My questions are:

1) Is HWIC-4ESW module the right module?
2) What are the modules? Ie in reality are the physical cards to be installed in the nim slots? Or are they software modules that are installed in routers anyway?
3) Where can I find these modules for cisco packet tracer? Is there also a guide?

1 Comment
Martin L
VIP
VIP

physical module HWIC-4ESW is a 4-port Ethernet switching module for making or adding "small" switching capability to a router.  you can connect  4PCs to it; they will be on vlan 1 and communicating with router over SVI called interface vlan 1. 

Modules are physical; they go into open slots on routers. u can see open slot on PT router if you look at the back side.

no software is necessary; it should be included (some older voice modules may need extra software called CME)

Serial modules have unique wide ports; Google it if u can not see serial module in PT (back of a router pane window).

U must turn off a router to drag module into open slot.  

you should have taken free Net Academy lessons in order to download PT in first place; did u?  they should have info on serial ports and modules.  you can still take their course anytime; login to netacademy.

https://www.netacad.com/virtual/app/introduction-packet-tracer

Have fun labbing!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: