cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SD-WAN multi-controller environment

yuri.denisov
Level 1
Level 1

I have a question for the respected forum.

The SD-WAN production environment is usually comprised of more than one SD-WAN controller/manager. Different SD-WAN sites might reside under different controllers/managers. So my questions related to the given scenario are:

1).  What would be Cisco Viptela’s approach for management and orchestration in order to establish an overlay connectivity between the sites which are managed by different instances of controllers/managers?

2).  In case of failure - Is there a fail-over mechanism to reroute a business critical traffic? I mean besides internet breakout/LTE options. For example finding an additional route across the given SD-WAN sites and then updating their respecting routing tables, and by doing so enabling the business critical traffic to still flow through the premium underlay such as MPLS (and not to use internet breakout/LTE).

Appreciate your help. Any reference material would be great.

Thank you!

1 Reply 1

Hi yuri,

Regarding to your questions, please refer to my comments below:

1. I assume you're referring to Controller High Availability mechanism, if YES please refer to this link: https://sdwan-docs.cisco.com/Product_Documentation/Software_Features/Release_18.1/09High_Availability_and_Scaling/04High_Availability_Configuration_Examples
  2. IMHO, it's possible and can be performed with multiple ways in Centralized Policy configuration, i.e.: AAR, Traffic Redirection, etc. It also depends on your business app requirement and network characteristic. For example, I have a sample case in my customer to redirect office365 traffic via DIA primarily but MPLS is the backup (all internet traffic are redirected via Hub) if local internet link getting worst/problem. You can apply AAR to select preferred and backup link based on the defined SLA. Just make sure the desired prefix are received via OMP on all tunnels (Public and Private) you have. CMIIW

Thanks,

Rakhmad

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: