cancel
Views
Helpful
Comments
Tomas de Leon
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Objective

The objective of this blog is to provide users an example of configuring Event Notification Subscriptions for Email & Rest API destinations. These are only examples of the possible configuration scenarios.

Goals

Provide a working example of configuring and testing Event Notifications and Subscriptions using Email & Rest API destinations.

Depending on your deployment and configuration choices, your configuration setup may be different. Also, remember that in my example, I am using a Public site for my test destinations. So use caution and please refer to your Data Protection Policies before testing to public sites.

If you have any questions & comments please post them here.

3 Comments
Tomas de Leon
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Technote of the day (TOTD) -- How to setup & test Event Subscriptions for different Email endpoints?

Prepared for: Cisco DNA Customer, Solutions Support

Prepared by: Tomas de Leon, Technical Leader
July 21, 2020
Document number: 07212020_v1

HOW TO SETUP & TEST EVENT SUBSCRIPTIONS FOR DIFFERENT EMAIL ENDPOINTS?

Objective

The objective of this document is to provide users an example of configuring Event Notification Subscriptions for different Email endpoints. This is only one example of the possible configuration scenarios.

Goals

Provide a working example of configuring and testing Event Notifications and Subscriptions using Email for different endpoints.

Depending on your deployment and configuration choices, your configuration setup may be different. Also, remember that in my example, I am using a Public site for my test Email endpoints. So use caution and please refer to your Data Protection Policies before testing to public sites.

The following technote is written against the Cisco DNA Center version 1.3.3.6 FCS Release. The part added on testing refers to the "Try It" feature for Active Subscriptions was introduced in Cisco DNA Center 2.1.1.0 and later. With Cisco DNA Center version 2.1.1.0 and later, there is a new Navigation Menu and enhancements to the layout of the System Settings UI pages. In previous Cisco DNA Center releases, there was an "Email Configuration" section. This has changed in version 2.1.1.0 and later. The External Services "Destinations" section is where you configure the various types of destinations to deliver the events from Cisco DNA Center.

The following technote is written to help answer the question in regards to configuring & testing the Cisco DNA Center Event Notification Feature.

Reference Information:

• Cisco DNA Center version 1.3.3.6

• Cisco DNA Center version 2.1.1.0

• Webhook.site (REST API Webhook Test Site)

https://webhook.site/

Technote--Event_Notify_2emailsetup_v1p1.jpg

Technote--Event_Notify_2emailsetup_v1p2.jpg

Technote--Event_Notify_2emailsetup_v1p3.jpg

Technote--Event_Notify_2emailsetup_v1p4.jpg

Technote--Event_Notify_2emailsetup_v1p5.jpg

Technote--Event_Notify_2emailsetup_v1p6.jpg

Technote--Event_Notify_2emailsetup_v1p7.jpg

Technote--Event_Notify_2emailsetup_v1p8.jpg

Technote--Event_Notify_2emailsetup_v1p9.jpg

Technote--Event_Notify_2emailsetup_v1p10.jpg

Technote--Event_Notify_2emailsetup_v1p11.jpg

Technote--Event_Notify_2emailsetup_v1p12.jpg

Technote--Event_Notify_2emailsetup_v1p13.jpg

Technote--Event_Notify_2emailsetup_v1p14.jpg

Technote--Event_Notify_2emailsetup_v1p15.jpg

Technote--Event_Notify_2emailsetup_v1p16.jpg

Technote--Event_Notify_2emailsetup_v1p17.jpg

Technote--Event_Notify_2emailsetup_v1p18.jpg

Technote--Event_Notify_2emailsetup_v1p19.jpg

Technote--Event_Notify_2emailsetup_v1p20.jpg

Technote--Event_Notify_2emailsetup_v1p21.jpg

Technote--Event_Notify_2emailsetup_v1p22.jpg

The PDF form of the Technote can be found here:

Technote of the day (TOTD) -- How to setup & test Event Subscriptions for different Email endpoints?
https://community.cisco.com/t5/networking-documents/technote-of-the-day-totd-how-to-setup-amp-test-event/ta-p/4143606

Tomas de Leon
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Technote of the day (TOTD) -- How to setup & test Event Subscriptions for Email & REST endpoints?

Prepared for: Cisco DNA Customer, Solutions Support Prepared by: Tomas de Leon, Technical Leader
July 15, 2020
Document number: 07152020_v1

HOW TO SETUP & TEST EVENT SUBSCRIPTIONS FOR EMAIL & REST ENDPOINTS?

Objective

The objective of this document is to provide users an example of configuring Event Notification Subscriptions for Email & Rest API destinations. This is only one example of the possible configuration scenarios.

Goals

Provide a working example of configuring and testing Event Notifications and Subscriptions using Email & Rest API destinations.

Depending on your deployment and configuration choices, your configuration setup may be different. Also, remember that in my example, I am using a Public site for my test destinations. So use caution and please refer to your Data Protection Policies before testing to public sites.

The following technote is written against the Cisco DNA Center version 2.1.1.0 Limited Release. The following technote is written to help answer the question in regards to configuring & testing the Cisco DNA Center Event Notification Feature.

Reference Information:

The PDF form of the Technote can be found here:

Technote of the day (TOTD) -- How to setup & test Event Subscriptions for Email & REST endpoints?
https://community.cisco.com/t5/networking-documents/technote-of-the-day-totd-how-to-setup-amp-test-event/ta-p/4143610

Arne Bier
VIP
VIP

Hi @Tomas de Leon 

thanks for the write up. I was able to subscribe to a few events and have emails sent (this is what my customer was asking for).

Are you able to provide this document in a more digestible PDF format? The web view is not very user friendly.

What exactly is an endpoint, when configuring the email alerts? What would be a use case of needing more than one endpoint (isn't the recipient's email address sufficient?)

regards

Arne

*** RESPONSE

Arne,

In each of the post Links above, goes to the TOTD page where you can download each PDF file.

Think of the Endpoint and a Target for each subscription for each event_Id.  Depending on the Event_ID supported endpoints could be SYSLOG, REST Webhook, Email, or SNMP.

So it is not just email for the subscription, but in regards to email you need to create and endpoint.  So you can use a "Global" endpoint for all events or you can create specific Endpoints for a specific Event_ID or a Group of Events.

I hope this helps

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: