cancel
Views
Helpful
Comments
TCC_2
Level 10
Level 10

Core Issue

If the no service password-recovery command has been configured on a router, the break sequence will no longer work in order to get to ROM Monitor (ROMmon) mode to perform a password recovery. If this feature is enabled,  the following message is displayed at bootup, indicating that the password recovery functionality is disabled.

System Bootstrap, Version 11.1(4675) [kluk 143], INTERIM SOFTWARE
Copyright (c) 1994-1996 by cisco Systems, Inc.
C3600 processor with 32768 Kbytes of main memory
Main memory is configured to 64 bit mode with parity disabled

PASSWORD RECOVERY FUNCTIONALITY IS DISABLED
program load complete, entry point: 0x80008000, size: 0x2733f4

Recovery from this state is possible. However, the startup configuration in NVRAM will be lost.

Resolution

If a Cisco 1700, 2600, 3600, or 3700 series router has been configured with the no service password-recovery command and the enable password is not known, perform the following steps in order to recover the password:

1. Boot the system. 

2. After the Cisco IOS  image decompresses and shows [OK] (as in the example shown), enter a break sequence within five seconds. 

Self decompressing the following image:

################################################[OK]

For information about the correct break sequence, refer to Standard Break Key Sequence Combinations During Password Recovery.

3. The router then asks if you want to reset it to the factory default configuration with the following message: 

PASSWORD RECOVERY IS DISABLED.

Do you want to reset the router to factory default

configuration and proceed [y/n] ? y

Reset router configuration to factory default.

The router now boots with no configuration.

4. If the no service password-recovery command is enabled and no valid Cisco IOS image is in Flash, then the above procedure does not work. If this is the case, a Flash already containing a valid Cisco IOS image must be installed first and then the procedure above may be performed. This is because the xmodem and tftpdnld commands are not available due to the inability to access ROMmon. 

5. On the Cisco 3640 and 3660 routers only, the NVRAM chip may be removed and reinstalled in order to erase the configuration. This is possible on these models because a separate battery holds the configuration, and when the chip is removed, the configuration is lost. The silkscreen on the motherboard will identify it as "NVRAM". Be sure to use proper anti-static procedures when handling NVRAM. This procedure does not work on the Cisco 1700, 2600, or 3620 models and should be done only as a last resort if no Cisco IOS image is present in Flash.

When Problem Occurs

After software configuration change

Error Messages and Warnings

Comments
elettromeccanica
Community Member

no service password-recovery command has been configured on my router, so the break sequence will no longer work in order to get to ROM Monitor (ROMmon) mode to perform a password recovery. I have followed more Cisco documents that explain the procedure to restore the default factory configuration, but none of them works.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3/12_3y/12_3ya8/gtnsvpwd.html

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps274/products_configuration_example09186a00801d8113.shtml

The system doesn't react to the receipt of the command "break".

My router is 877 with IOS 12.4(9)T5, and bootstrap 12.3(8r)Y14.

How can I restore factory configuration?

Thanks in advance.

farrukhaq
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there! i am unable to enter "y" when router prompts to enter factory default configuration[y/n]. can anyone help. Thanks...

m_siculaba
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks, I did it calmly and it worked for me,  when the router finished loading the image #### OK, I counted up to 8 or 10 and typed Cntr + Break very slowly and it worked. I clarify that it took me many attempts and hours, but then it was very easy.

Note: do not quickly type CLT + Break

Router 1841 y 1941.

Tahir Munir
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

My issue is bit different from above resolution. PFB my problem and guide please.

Upgrade ROMMON initialized
program load complete, entry point: 0x8000f000, size: 0xcb80
boot: cannot determine first executable file name on device "flash:"
c2821 platform with 262144 Kbytes of main memory
Main memory is configured to 64 bit mode with ECC enabled

Rich R
VIP
VIP

@Tahir Munir you must have erased the flash or deleted all the IOS files from it before you reloaded the router so that it can't boot.  In that case, paragraph 4 of the original post may apply.  But the 2821 router went "end of support" 7 years ago so you might have trouble locating any documentation or IOS image for it, as they will have been removed from the Cisco web site by now.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco