Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Comments
gregorypierce1
Level 1
Level 1

IS there a way to upgrade the ios on a cisco 9200l switch using a usb drive instead of using a tftp server? If so could someone point me to the article or tell me how this can be done? These switches seem to be more complicated than previous switches. Thanks for your time.

Answer

Comments
Cristian Matei
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

You should be able to copy from usbflash0: to flash:

Regards,

Cristian Matei.

gregorypierce1
Level 1
Level 1

After trying the commands with both usb ports I get the same result if I try to copy the file to flash. Flash is read only. 

switch: copy usbflash1:/cat9k_lite_iosxe.16.12.03.SPA.bin flash:
Unsupported destination device/filesystem.

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

you are on switch: not on switch#

follow below thread to boot from USB, if not able to view USB follow next steps as per the thread :

https://community.cisco.com/t5/switching/catalyst-9200-ios-install/td-p/3926015

gregorypierce1
Level 1
Level 1

I should be able to copy as you said but it doesn't work as I said before. I've tried the copy mode mentioned from Rommon mode and from switch# mode as well with no working results as of yet. 

As far as the link goes, he set his up to boot from a tftp server which isn't what i want to do. I can boot it from usb but I want to install the ios from the usb to the device flash: it just doesn't work like it use to. I will keep trying things and hope to find an answer. 

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@gregorypierce1 wrote:

switch: copy usbflash1:/cat9k_lite_iosxe.16.12.03.SPA.bin flash:
Unsupported destination device/filesystem.

Post the complete output to the command "dir usbflash0:"

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I suggest for now to check the USB recognized, some USB may have issue, so check is the USB mounted on Cisco device.

korykeenan
Level 1
Level 1

This is old but I had the same problem.  

First, it takes a while for the USB to load, and the console never tells you.  Anyway first, you have to boot from the USB drive, then once it's running, flash: won't be RO anymore and you can perform the copy, then boot using the copied file.  

boot usbflash0:/cat9k_example.bin

* wait for boot

copy usbflash0:/cat9K_example.bin flash:

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

copy usbflash0:/cat9K_example.bin flash: 

what is the error you get here ? what is the output of dir flash: or dir

gregorypierce1
Level 1
Level 1

Got it figured out a while back, just forgot to update sorry. I was able to boot the switch using the drive and copy the file over at that point. Planning on going Meraki one day so I wont have to do this again.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: