Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Comments
Mohamed Alhenawy
Spotlight
Spotlight
  • In this article, we are going to talk about Cisco Umbrella Initial Setup.

- The continuity of IT is the basis of today’s business environment. Almost every single decision made by business is either based on an IT data or done using the IT platform. And so, the security, availability, visibility, and performance of the IT sector are the key foundation of a solid business and service environment.

source.gif

-Cisco umbrella comes to secure your sensitive data within more than 20x data centers -WW- around the world and tied with a cisco Talos operation center team.

-I have known about this configuration for a while but I will admit that I didn't really try to learn it until recently, for that I going to share with you what I learned.
- First step add the public IP address of the enterprise on the Cisco umbrella 
https://dashboard.umbrella.com  Enter username & Password

Enter Deployment --->Core Identities--->Network --->Add ---> write name of the network --->Public Ip ---> choose mask---> save .

10.JPG

11.JPG

NOTE: The network connection may be a single public IP address (dynamic) so you need to checkmark this option [ This network has a dynamic IP address]

- Add a network device:

12.JPG

Cisco 4000 Series and 1100 Series ISR acts as a DNS forwarder on the network, forwards the DNS queries to the Cisco Umbrella cloud. this feature available on the Cisco IOS 16.3 and later.
13.JPG14.JPG
The Cisco Umbrella Integration feature provides a cloud-based security service by inspecting the DNS query that is sent to the DNS server through ISRs. When a host initiates the DNS query, the Cisco Umbrella Connector in  ISR  inspects the DNS query. If the DNS query is for a local domain, it forwards the query without changing the DNS packet to the DNS server in the enterprise network. If it is for an external domain, it adds an Extended DNS (EDNS) record to the query and sends it to Cisco Umbrella Resolver

NOTE: Please visit this link to get the information's about the integration and prerequisites :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/sec_data_umbrbran/configuration/xe-16/sec-data-umbrella-branch-xe-16-book/sec-data-umbrella-bran.html

- Add Wireless Controller - NOTE: virtual WLC is not supported

In the Umbrella dashboard, generate an API token for device (WLC) registration

16.JPG

NOTE: we have multiple choices for API that we have to use but in our case, we will choose [Legacy Network Devices] --->create.17.JPG

18.JPG

Now we have the API key.
- Wireless controller main menu, navigate to Security---> OpenDNS --->General --->enable OpenDNS --->Copy the API key.21.png

- create OpenDNS profiles on the WLC navigate to Security---> OpenDNS --->General --->enable OpenDNS ---> Add profile.

NOTE: should be the state of the profile show as profile registered

-- Add the domain with a cisco umbrella Enter Deployment --->Core Identities--->Domain Management--->add --->Domain Name ---> Description---> choose the sites .

25.JPG

-- Active directory integration with a cisco umbrella Enter Deployment --->Core Identities--->site and active directory --->add DC  ---> run it on your Domain Controller using the command.
cscript <configuration script name>
 27.JPG

Once you have done the script you have to fill all these details Hostname, Domain, internal IP, choose Site

28.JPG

Stay tuned for the next article about Cisco umbrella.

*** I hope that has been informative for you and thank you ***
Mohamed Alhenawy
CCIE#60453

Comments
Martin L
VIP
VIP

Love animation picture; thanks for sharing!

Mohamed Alhenawy
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi @Martin L

Thanks for your comment, also if you are looking to know about the DNAC with an automation tool, I recommend this to you!

https://community.cisco.com/t5/networking-documents/automation-tool-quot-postman-quot-with-cisco-digital-network/ta-p/4099564

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: