Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Comments
Upgrading old IOS with New IOS

• Check IOS with “show version”.
  • Verify the stacks that how many switches are connected with stack & in ready state “ Show switch”
  • Take the configuration backup before proceeding upgrade
  • Start copying new IOS universalk9- 07.05.E into each switch connected to stack. With following command Copy tftp: flash-x: universalk9- 03.07.05.E.bin
  • Set the boot value: config-Switch#> boot system flash:cat3k_caa-universalk9.SPA.0x.0x.0x.E.bin
  • Reload the switch. (15-min Downtime to users)
  • After upgrading the new IOS, verify
    • New IOS with“ show version
  • If step-7 succeeded, the switch will have new IOS version 03.07.05.E and status confirmed as production ready
  • If step-8 failed, (Rollback) switch back to the old IOS. universalk9- 07.05.E.bin (15-min Downtime to users)

• Check IOS with “show version”.

Cisco IOS Software, IOS-XE Software, Catalyst L3 Switch Software (CAT3K_CAA-UNIVERSALK9-M), Version 0x.0x.05.E RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport

Copyright (c) 1986-2017 by Cisco Systems, Inc.

Compiled Fri 10-Feb-17 07:59 by prod_rel_team

Cisco IOS-XE software, Copyright (c) 2005-2015 by cisco Systems, Inc.

All rights reserved.  Certain components of Cisco IOS-XE software are

licensed under the GNU General Public License ("GPL") Version 2.0.  The

software code licensed under GPL Version 2.0 is free software that comes

with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.  You can redistribute and/or modify such

GPL code under the terms of GPL Version 2.0.

(http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-2.0.html) For more details, see the

documentation or "License Notice" file accompanying the IOS-XE software,

or the applicable URL provided on the flyer accompanying the IOS-XE

software.

ROM: IOS-XE ROMMON

BOOTLDR: CAT3K_CAA Boot Loader (CAT3K_CAA-HBOOT-M) Version 3.58, RELEASE SOFTWARE (P)

Switch uptime is 1 hour, 17 minutes

Uptime for this control processor is 1 hour, 24 minutes

System returned to ROM by reload

System image file is "flash:cat3k_caa-universalk9.SPA.03.07.05.E.152-3.E5.bin"

Last reload reason: Reload command

This product contains cryptographic features and is subject to United

States and local country laws governing import, export, transfer and

use. Delivery of Cisco cryptographic products does not imply

third-party authority to import, export, distribute or use encryption.

Importers, exporters, distributors and users are responsible for

compliance with U.S. and local country laws. By using this product you

agree to comply with applicable laws and regulations. If you are unable

to comply with U.S. and local laws, return this product immediately.

A summary of U.S. laws governing Cisco cryptographic products may be found at:

http://www.cisco.com/wwl/export/crypto/tool/stqrg.html

If you require further assistance please contact us by sending email to

export@cisco.com.

License Level: Ipbase

License Type: Permanent

Next reload license Level: Ipbase

cisco WS-C3850-48P (MIPS) processor with 4194304K bytes of physical memory.

Processor board ID FCW2037F033

1 Virtual Ethernet interface

52 Gigabit Ethernet interfaces

4 Ten Gigabit Ethernet interfaces

2048K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.

4194304K bytes of physical memory.

252000K bytes of Crash Files at crashinfo:.

1611414K bytes of Flash at flash:.

0K bytes of Dummy USB Flash at usbflash0:.

0K bytes of  at webui:.

Base Ethernet MAC Address          : 00:42:5a:11:83:00

Motherboard Assembly Number        : 73-15800-08

Motherboard Serial Number          : FOC20367X15

Model Revision Number              : AB0

Motherboard Revision Number        : A0

Model Number                       : WS-C3850-48P

System Serial Number               : FCW2037F033

Switch Ports Model              SW Version        SW Image              Mode  

------ ----- -----              ----------        ----------            ----  

*    1 56    WS-C3850-48P       03.07.05.E        cat3k_caa-universalk9 BUNDLE

Configuration register is 0x102

• Verify the stack with “Show switch”.

AS-XXX-01-01#sh switch

Switch/Stack Mac Address : 0023.5e76.e280

H/W   Current

Switch#  Role   Mac Address     Priority Version  State

----------------------------------------------------------

*1       Master 0023.5e76.e280     15     1       Ready              

2       Member 0023.5e77.6d00     14     1       Ready              

3       Member 0023.33a0.1b80     13     1       Ready

• Take configuration backup before proceeding upgrade.

AS-XXX-01-01#copy startup-config tftp:<tftp server address>

• Start copying new IOS universalk9- 03.07.05.E into each switch connected to stack. With following command Copy tftp: flash-x: universalk9- 03.07.05.E.bin

AS-XXX-01-01#copy  tftp: flash:

Address or name of remote host []? x.x.x.x

Source filename []? cat3k_caa-universalk9.SPA.03.07.05.E.152-x.E5.bin

Destination filename [cat3k_caa-universalk9.SPA.03.07.05.E.152-3.E5.bin]?

Accessing tftp://192.168.1.2/cat3k_caa-universalk9.SPA.03.07.05.E.152-3.E5.bin...

Loading cat3k_caa-universalk9.SPA.03.07.05.E.152-3.E5.bin from 192.168.1.2 (via Vlan1): !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[OK - 328618032 bytes]

• Set the boot value:

AS--XXX-01-0# config-Switch#>  boot system flash:cat3k_caa-universalk9.SPA.03.07.05.E.bin

• Reload the switch. (15-min Downtime to users)

AS--XXX-01-01#Reload

• After installing the new IOS, verify:
    1. New IOS with“ show version”

AS--XXX-01-01#System image file is flash:cat3k_caa-universalk9.SPA.03.07.05.E.152-3.E5.bin"

AS--XXX-01-01#System image file is flash:cat3k_caa-universalk9.SPA.03.07.05.E.152-3.E5.bin"

BR

Tayyab

Comments
Jhonadms
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Muhammad,

Really helpful and Thanks for sharing specially Action Plan :)

Jhon

rlaneyjr22
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Tayyab,

Thank you for taking the time to share your plan.  I have a slightly different upgrade plan that I have been using successfully for years.  I just wanted to share this with the group.  Steps 1-3 are the same as your plan, step 3 is listed just to introduce some examples.

3. Take the configuration backup before proceeding upgrade. 

Examples that will need to be adjusted for your environment:
   show run | redirect ftp://username:password@YUR.IP.ADD.RES:~/YourBackupDir/your-3850-sw1.cfg
   show run brief | redirect ftp://username:password@YUR.IP.ADD.RES:~/YourBackupDir/your-3850-sw1_brief.cfg
   show run all | redirect ftp://username:password@YUR.IP.ADD.RES:~/YourBackupDir/your-3850-sw1_all.cfg

4. There is no need to copy the new version package to each switch.  The package only needs to be copied to the "Active" master switch (usely switch #1).  The next step will perform that operation for us by copying the package to each switch utilizing the stack-wise connections high-bandwidth.  This keeps us from having to saturate the uplink(s) by transferring the package N(# of switches) times.  Also, we need to make sure to update any NBAR2 protocol packs as well.

Examples for both:
   copy ftp://username:password@YUR.IP.ADD.RES:~/YourSoftwareDir/cat3k_caa-universalk9.16.06.04a.SPA.bin flash:cat3k_caa-universalk9.16.06.04a.SPA.bin
   copy ftp://username:password@YUR.IP.ADD.RES:~/YourSoftwareDir/pp-adv-cat3k-166.4-31-40.0.0.pack flash:pp-adv-cat3k-166.4-31-40.0.0.pack

Examples for md5 hash verification:
   verify /md5 flash:cat3k_caa-universalk9.16.06.04a.SPA.bin
   verify /md5 flash:pp-adv-cat3k-166.4-31-40.0.0.pack

5. Install the new version using the software install command.

Examples:
   software install file flash:cat3k_caa-universalk9.16.06.04a.SPA.bin new
   software install file flash:cat3k_caa-universalk9.16.06.04a.SPA.bin new auto-rollback 60
There are multiple options for this install method like auto-rollback, on-reboot, force, and so on.  I would recommend checking them out. You will be prompted to reload the switch (yes|no).  The verification process is done automatically during the software install and output to screen for your review prior to accepting reboot.  If something is in error, then from here you can stop the process and rollback.  I tell users at the very least 20min downtime for a single switch.  Multiple switch stacks can take a VERY long time to reload and re-provision themselves correctly.  As an example, I have waited 46mins for a stack of 4 to reload completely.  I was dialing TAC in panic at 45min...lol.

5. After upgrading the new IOS, verify
    New IOS with show version

6. After a successful upgrade, now you can update your NBAR2 protocol pack.

Example:
   ip nbar protocol-pack flash:pp-adv-cat3k-166.4-31-40.0.0.pack

7. Don't forget to save config/wr mem!

- Ricky

gongroca
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

Just one question, Can I update the ios 16.6.6 to 16.09.06 version directly?

Thanks for your support.

amralrazzaz
Level 5
Level 5

May i ask you incase if i go for upgrade the switch so can i do this upgrade remotely as im managing this remotely because its located in different country ,! if yes so no need to physical interaction during the upgrade with no lost of the saved configurations juts to not effecting the users with internet connection ! or shall i bring someone be at office and do the upgrade physically on ground ! 

Do u recommend this golden start version from cisco (cat3k_caa-universalk9.16.12.05b.SPA.bin ) and can i jump from what i have current to this high version or shall i do several updates till reaching to the highest one ?

https://software.cisco.com/download/home/284455428/type/282046477/release/Gibraltar-16.12.5b

and can i upgrade from 03.02.03.SE cat3k_caa-universalk9 to cat3k_caa-universalk9.16.12.05b.SPA.bin  directly ??

your advice is highly recommended for me to execute!!  Thanks 

james.king14
Level 1
Level 1

when using new software the command software install does not exist.  Must use "install add file" flash: file name to execute.  This does not remove the old file, what is the resolution for this issue

james.king14
Level 1
Level 1

Basically, need to know what new commands is to start the upgrade process for new IOS.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: